Monday, November 10, 2008

Art Blog: Bloggers Unite, Refugees United

The alarm goes off and we lift up from our cozy beds to start our day. We look out the window of our comfortable homes to see the traffic moving as the sun rises. We grab a bite to eat from our behemoth refrigerators. Let’s see, eggs or a blueberry muffin? The shower we take is warm and invigorating. We select an outfit from an overstuffed closet. We jump in our cars and rev the engine. Ahhh….
Life is good.
However, I ask:


No. Not everybody. We live in a large world. Our little corner of this earth represents just a speck of our collective, global humanity. Last week I spoke of Maya Angelou and her reminder to be thankful. Anyone reading this blog has so many reasons to embrace the Universe with gratitude. It was just by the luck of the draw we were born here and have our pleasant, abundant, humane lives. We are so fortunate.

Today is Bloggers Unite day. Those participating are writing about the refugees of the world. This post is my one, tiny effort to be my “best human being” and to try to help those with far less.
I am not an expert on world hunger or strife. I will not try to explain what is going on around us. I will let the authorities try to help you understand. Without further adieu, I give you this link to the gallery of "Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children". Since the readers of this blog are visual people, I thought you would be interested in viewing any one of the photo essays showing the lives of refugees around this world. There are many. What tiny thing can you do to be your best human being and help to change our world?


Click to go to the gallery of Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children to view photo essays.

9 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

It's horrible that people have to go through this trauma :(

JafaBrit's Art said...

ps. your image is a very strong statement, arg!!!!!!

carminemag said...

I wish I had heard about this event sooner!

canvas wall art said...

well highlighted :)

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
Yes it is more than horrible. Yet, I don't really know what I can do to help. I can make donations, but these days I feel unsure the money is getting to the right places.

That image was taken from one of the photo essays. Obviously, it is a child's drawing. It is kind of ironic because I work with kids who are rough around the edges. Violence is a big part of their lives. One of the things that is in the "inappropriate" category in art is drawing violence/guns/etc. I nix this subject matter because we are trying to get these kids to think in a more positive way. I saw these drawings created by refugee children and realized how kids need to express themselves, show what they see, and artistically speak about their lives.
I can't let my students do this. It isn't the right place to do that. However, my kids at school could draw stuff that was just as potent and startling if I let them. :-(

Sheree Rensel said...

Carmine,
I believe I got an email from Blog Catalog telling me about this event. If you aren't a member, you should join. That way, you will be notified next time.
:-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Canvas Wall,
Thank you so much!

Trish said...

hi! I just found your youtube videos and blog-love them both:)

Sheree Rensel said...

Trish,
That is so sweet for you to say. THANK YOU SO MUCH! This comment means so much to me.
Thank you!
Sheree