Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Art Blog: Decisions

I know. I know. I know. I was going to post about “those books” today. I am not going to do that. I started writing and got so frustrated, I decided to move on. I want to think positive. So here is my positive post.

One of the most difficult things about having a life in flux is the feeling of not having a direction. I hate that I don’t have any idea what I will be doing next year at this time. Actually, none of us really know. Yet if your life has a rhythm and you are doing OK, there is a chance you could predict or at least give a reasonable synopsis of what you will be doing November 18, 2009. I don’t. In fact, today I said it out loud. Today I told someone I want this to be my last year at this job, this life. When I said it, I heard myself. I felt a kind of relief. A weight had been lifted. I felt it. I am moving on. I made a decision!

Now. WHERE? You all know I have been dabbling with ideas. I was willing to move wherever a job might take me. However, there is no job calling me. So…………….I am going to just take the bull by the horns and figure out where I want to go and be an artist. I will figure out the job stuff later.

The first place that is calling loud is New Mexico. I have no idea why I am thinking I want to go there. It just came to my mind years ago. I guess I have been collecting images and information for years. I have a database in my mind. Suddenly, my brain started spitting out facts, figures, and numbers telling me to go, go, go THERE. I am not sure about this yet. I am still researching.

I am going back and forth in my mind. I want to stay here (St. Pete) because I have my house. But no……… I do not want to stay here. I want some place new. (Where, I don’t know for sure????) At least, I am making the decision I want to move on. At LEAST!!! I have already taken personal days off in January. I wanted to go to a technology conference. I am seriously thinking I will make a change of plans. I am thinking of creating a New Mexico agenda and just taking a 5 day hike around Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I think that might just be a really good thing. At least, I would feel like I am moving forward.


OMG!! I forgot to tell you! Two of my "Red" paintings have already been accepted for a show in North Carolina. That was fast and very cool!!! :-)

6 comments:

self taught artist said...

me too sheree, I was going to write my little ranty post (maybe next bad mood), but decided to go for something fun and positive. (great comment by the way!!!! best story so far)
anyhow. there is an artist, kelly moore who you might check out if you dont already know his work. He moved to NM a year or two ago and his art has changed and I know he got out of the galleries and does the weekend indian reservation thing and gallery people from NY gobble his work up. so who knows????
*and I've told you your art has that southwestern thing going...who knows??????
good for you!!!!!!!

JafaBrit's Art said...

eek, well I am not going to sound positive, but from what my friend who owns a gallery in Albuquerque tells me the art scene is dead there.
I am guessing if the work fits a specific style and genre of the area though it would be fine.

Not sure about it as a place of nurturing for artists though? I LOVE Yellow Springs because it is a haven for artists, and a great community, but not a great place to make a living.

Martha Marshall said...

Sheree, sounds like a good plan! That's literally "putting one foot in front of the other." And congratulations on your NC show!!

Sheree Rensel said...

Paula,
Thank you so much for the tip. I WILL check out his work! That is part of this process. I just want to have a direction. By no means am I packing my bags, but at least if I have something in mind, I can put my energy into doing research. Maybe this will help to find out what I REALLY want. I am not sure about the "southwestern" thing, but you are right "Who knows!"
:-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
Don't apologize for giving me ideas about the down side of NM. Oh no! I want to hear all sides. This is for sure. I found another down side today. I printed out the yearly weather report averages for central NM. I am not sure I can stand the weather there. I need hot, hot, hot, (to match my personality!! LOL LOL LOL)
The idea of genre and style are a big issue too. A lot of NM art is very, well, I don't have to tell you. I am not sure I would fit into the excepted genres. That isn't my first consideration though because I have found quite a few NM artists who I relate to very well.
Yellow Springs??? I know NOTHING about that place. See......This is another opportunity for my research.
Thanks!!
:-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Thanks Martha! You are always good for encouraging words. You are right. One foot in front of the other. I am thinking that very thing. In regards to the NC show, this is what I want. I want to paint and put that same work in a show as quickly as possible. I know it doesn't work that way all the time, but it feels so good and right.
:-)
Sheree