Friday, November 14, 2008

Art Blog: My NEXT Life

If I have a next life, I want to be a scientist. I have always loved science. I want to be a researcher. I want to be tucked away in a laboratory and just do experiments. I have always had this interest. However, I couldn’t do everything. I had to find a
focus. Art won out. Science has always run a very close third. I suppose my second chosen vocation would have been writing. After that, I have always wanted to be some kind of scientist. Always.

In my teens, I was a girl scout. I joined late. I was never a Brownie or Junior Girl Scout. Life circumstances prevented me from being a participant. I finally got to be a scout in high school. This was when most girls were dropping out. It wasn’t cool. However, I was a hippie, dippy, Girl Scout. I was the president of my troop. I was the troop leader for a G.S. trip to Mexico. I was a Type A, overachiever scout back then. I was all into it.

I was also into the achievement stuff. Having earned the most badges ever in the one year as a Cadette G.S., I was really motivated to get the most metal insignia awarded to Senior girl scouts. However, it was a bit harder to achieve those. Instead of doing a required list of activities to earn a badge, Senior G.S. had to attend a training workshop to complete the requirements to get a certain subject area, colored bar. These are similar to military bars on uniforms. OK. OK. I got right to it. I was attending every weekend shindig they had to offer! I wanted to get the SCIENCE award. They didn’t offer a workshop in that. There wasn’t enough interest to warrant the organization of a class. I thought “Screw that!. LOL LOL LOL I called the G.S. headquarters. I ranted. They told my 16 year old self that if I wanted to do it, maybe I could come up with my own curriculum. LOL LOL LOL Oh boy, they didn’t know who they were talking to!!! LOL LOL

Oh yeah. I created my own curriculum! Holy Macaroni. I was on the telephone that week with some person at the Enrico Fermi Nuclear power plant. I charmed my way into that place for a personal tour. Wearing my stupid ass green G.S. uniform, I was walked through the entire plant. Then, the tour guide gave me a lead. He made a call to a lab associated with NASA. He made an appointment for me to go there too. Shit!!! LOL LOL
Anyway, I did it. I compiled my findings in a little book and sent it to G.S. headquarters. A few weeks later I got my “SCIENCE” insignia with a letter that basically said “You GO GIRL!”.

Sheree the scientist still lives in my heart. In fact, today I saw an article about the discovery of a new planet orbiting a star 130 light years away from our own solar system. This just boggles my mind. I love just thinking about stuff like this. I realize we know so little. Yet each time we learn a little tidbit like this, it fills me with awe and inspiration.


Click to read article
I had to chuckle at this picture because it reminded me so much of an “eye”. This is like my “Watching” piece. Be careful.

THEY are watching us!

2 comments:

deb said...

how funny, i wanted to be a physicist, I even started out in college to be a physicist, then I got married instead, maybe the attraction was the not dealing with people, although I think really for me it was the abstractness of advanced math and sub atomic particle physics... its the same kind of thinking as art making I think. I am still a physics nerd, I was sooo excited yesterday to find a second hand copy of The fabric of the cosmos by Brian Greene (he wrote the elegant universe - which was fab!)

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh Deb!
I so agree. Art and Science are totally alike. I see the parallels every day. In a way, I am sad I didn't go the other way. I would have made much more money being a scientist. Oh well...

C'est la vie

Tee hee hee!