Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Art Blog: PERFECT art, Part 1

“It's always necessary to seek for perfection. Obviously, for us, this word no longer has the same meaning. To me, it means: from one canvas to the next, always go further, further...”
Pablo Picasso

Ok. So I spoke about how I had a stellar, art weekend. I was cranking them out like nobody’s business. I love times like this. I have canvases here, there, and everywhere. Things were rolling along and then, and then, and then, I got stuck. There was this one canvas that just wouldn’t give it to me. I had an image in my head. I had a message. That damn thing wouldn’t cooperate. So what did I do? Did I set it aside and move on? Hell no! I worked on it over and over and over again. I felt like I was beating a dead horse. This frustration brought back a lot of old baggage.

Ms. Perfectionist had surfaced. I am one of those types of people. I am one of those types of artists. I am one of those individuals who never wants to do anything that isn’t just right. There are no sketches or experiments. There are no trial runs. It has to be good all the time. (Why I do this is very obvious to me. I will explain it in my next post.) This is not good. I laugh at myself sometimes because I want to get over this. It is old. It is boring. It is stupid.

When my daughter was little, she loved bowling. I absolutely, 100% HATED bowling. Why did I hate it? It was because I wasn’t good at it. I don’t think I have bowled more than ten times in my life. I doubt I ever had a score that broke 100. I am a novice. I am an idiot bowler. Also, I never gave a rat’s ass what my bowling score was or could be. Even though I realize if I bowled more and practiced, I would get better at it. I never did that. I think the whole activity is ridiculous. I took my daughter to bowl occasionally just because I felt a duty to please her. However, it was my hell.

So what does this have to do with my art? Oh, geesh! Bunches. As I painted this weekend away, it was going great. Then, I got to a point on one piece and things weren’t working. I didn’t move on. I just kept painting and repainting and then painting again. I thought “I just have to make this work!” Well, so far it hasn’t. This makes me so angry. I realize this is a reasoning flaw. I know better. I just need to put it aside and move on. I know this from experience. I will speak more about this in the next post. However, I want to point out the Picasso quote stated above. For me the key words he spoke are “always go further, further”. This is what makes me laugh at myself.

I know this.
I just have to do it.



What is your perfection nemesis?

1 comment:

self taught artist said...

it was a relief to read this, I work the same way, exactly! I always assume everyone draws it out or ponders and ponders...not me, I just do it and find out as I go what works or doesn't. good post!