Sunday, November 9, 2008

Art Blog: Quality Art Life

I painted for eleven hours yesterday. I was so focused, I forgot to eat dinner. I woke up at dawn this morning and felt energized. I ran to see what I had done and where I want to go with these little, new works. I am happy to report I got a nudge yesterday. I discovered a lead for a new direction. It is a great compromise. It includes a bit of old ways, but introduces some new artistic habits. In fact, one day this week I want to write about art techniques. I find the way we chose to work to be interesting and might be a crumb in the food for thought category.

My exuberance was dampened when I started watching the TV show Sunday Morning. I learned writer/critic John Leonard had died this week. This is such sad news. I love John Leonard. I love his work, writing, and television commentaries. He was one of the outrageously smart people who makes me stop and think. He was a logophile. I am too. Anybody who loves words is my pal. Mr. Leonard not only loved words, he could arrange them in a way that was fascinating and a delight to read or hear. All my senses danced when he spoke. Whenever I had the chance to see him in an interview or reviewing a work, I was captivated. He challenged my brain. I was soothed by his voice, stimulated by his prose, and excited by his energetic, zest for life. This is one of the most important things I will remember about him. He seemed to love life and was happy.

If you are a reader of this blog, you know I have been writing about trying to make changes in my life. I have mentioned I am thankful for what I have now, but I want more. There is nothing wrong with that. I am not greedy. I am not miserable. I just want to live my happiest life. To want better things does not mean I am ungrateful for my current life. However, I am in a state of fervor right now to reach as high as I can go. I am not talking about work success or art notoriety. I want to rise up and grab the kind of life situations that will make me the most joyful. That is OK. In fact, that is a good thing. I realize too well that this art life is going to end someday. I want to know that I did my best not only to do good work, but with my last breath know for sure I did my best to galvanize the quality of my life. Just like I am sure John did.



Click the picture to read the NY Times account of his life and his obituary.
Thank you John for reminding me what makes me feel joy and zest in my life.

2 comments:

deb said...

This is more like it... you go girl!!

Sheree Rensel said...

This is more like what?