Monday, December 22, 2008

Art Blog: Art Interpretations

Last week, I saw an Art Basil video featuring Alex Grey. I absolutely love his work. I have all kinds of Grey stuff. I could look at his books and calendars all day long. In fact, he is one of few artists who I totally envy. I wish I painted like he paints. I have never seen one of his works I disliked. While watching the video, I noticed a portrait of Barack Obama in the background. It was off in the distance and I could really get a good peek at it. So I looked it up online. I was curious because when I saw it in the video; I had this weird, creepy feeling. I could feel my jaw clench.

So when I found it online, I took a relook. Seeing it clearly makes me feel even more uncomfortable. Now this may seem strange. I just told you about my admiration for Grey’s work. If you are a reader of this blog, you know I am an Obamanic! However, my immediate interpretation (MY OPINION) of this Grey portrait is it suggests Obama’s charisma is saintly or messiah like. It reminds me of a portrait of a cult leader or dictatorial propaganda. It puts the president elect on a pedestal just too tall for my taste. Even though Obama is a great man and hopefully will be a great president, he is just a man. I have never been a fanatic about celebrities or authority figures. I think we all have God-like qualities and are spiritual beings. However, I think we are all human.

I realize all of Grey’s work deals with spirituality. This portrait is no different. Having said this, the painting still makes me grimace.


Click the portrait to go to Alex Grey’s wonderful website
and see his totally incredible art work.

2 comments:

Eero said...

I see what you mean. It is a little over the top!

On the flip side, perhaps the portrait is more about what the consensus of hope is for this president---that his concerns for ecology and environment really will be tantamount.

At least he isn't wearing godly robes and all that stuff. :)

E.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eero,
I agree with you. Knowing Grey's work, I don't think he meant it the way I am seeing the piece. In fact, I think the "aura" surrounding Obama could mean many things. I too believe Obama emits a new kind of light and energy that we haven't seen in a long time. Just on first glance, my gut and intuition said NO when I looked at this painting.