Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Art Blog: Art Life EXPECTATIONS

Some of you might have realized by now, I came from a (a-hum, cough, cough) dysfunctional family. I have absolutely no regrets about this. I am the product and result of this experience. Since I think I am a pretty cool, together person and a survivor, I also believe my past had its perks. I rarely speak of my mother. The issues are still too sensitive. However there is one thing that I will always remember about her. For some reason when I think of my childhood, I think of Peggy Lee singing the Leiber and Stoller classic “Is that all there is?” I guess my mother liked this song. Maybe it was her anthem. I never understood it back then. It seemed like such a sad song. Now I think differently. I didn’t understand it years ago. Now I realize you have to live some life to get it. There is a lot of room for interpretation.
I do understand it now.

Before you all think this is a very depressing entry, I have to give you a caveat. Realizing life is what it is isn’t such a bad thing. In fact once you realize this, a feeling of freedom emerges. For those of you who are younger, you might not understand fully. You will eventually. Once you get it, there is a kind of “a-HA” moment. You want your life to be more and mean more. It pushes you to make the very best of the time you have here on earth.

I can remember seeing Peggy Lee singing this song on TV. Back then, I would look at her and wonder “What the HELL is she talking about?” Well it took a decade or two or three, but I get it now. I get it so well, I find myself mouthing the lyrics sometimes. This is not depressing. It means I have grown up and have a deep understanding of my life. That is a very cool thing.
Click pic to watch!

IF YOU DON’T WANT TO THINK THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO LIFE, MAKE IT MORE.

2 comments:

deb said...

You must have stopped by my blog while I was reading yours, anyway, go check out this book... the related blog generator lead me to it!

http://vickyth.wordpress.com/2006/05/08/another-book-completed-phew/#comment-19482

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
The link you spoke of shows very nice book work. I am doing some book stuff. It is nothing like that at all. Mine is not that pretty or perfect. You will see. Just remember, sometimes I am a down and dirty girl.
LOL