Saturday, December 6, 2008

Art Blog: For ART’s Sake

“Don’t use the kitchen spoons to stir your paint!!!!”
X Boyfriend


I can remember some guy I lived with yelling at me about this bad habit years ago. I suppose this is one of the reasons I have been single most of my life. I can’t help it. I get into these creative modes and I lose all common sense. If I have the creative fever and I am in a hurry, I grab whatever is at hand to get the job done. I got tired of the complaining and art won out. Thus, I am alone.

I am in one of those modes right now. Even though I have a studio, the creative surge has spread like a virus through my house. Just about every room has become an art command center of some kind. For the past couple of days, I have worked mainly in the kitchen. I started a project there just because it had empty table space. Ironically, the piece is called “Art Bubble”.

This perfectly describes my state of consciousness when I become obsessed with getting art pieces done. I go into a zone. However being stationed in the kitchen is not a good thing for me to do. In the last 12 hours, I have used a number of dinner plates to hold painted objects, metal shish kabob skewers have been used to nudge objects into place, my vintage salad bowl has glue smeared all over it, dried paint is dripping from my kitchen counter, and yes, there are quite a few “used” spoons that need to be washed.

At the time I am doing all this, I don’t care. I just go about my business and worry about the ramifications later. Since I use acrylic paint, most of it comes out in the wash, so to speak. Yet sometimes, I do things that are harder to fix. For example, while working on this piece I needed some of my own hair. I just grabbed the kitchen scissors and proceeded to cut tuffs of my hair off like a crazed mental patient. It seemed like a good idea at the moment. However, I just started wondering how it will look when I wash my hair later today. Oh well.
It is all in the name of ART! LOL




This is the beginning of “Art Bubble”. I can’t show the entire thing yet. I will document it as I go along. The photos are a bit blurry because the words are in a “bubble”.
Back to work…
Now where is that tablespoon??….LOL LOL

2 comments:

deb said...

LOL!! I always caution my students not to eat and work at the same time, whenever I do I always end up eating something I shouldn't!!But I can picture you in your crazed kitchen, and I wonder how your hair DOES look??

Sheree Rensel said...

DEB!
I can report my hair is just fine. In fact, it might be better. When I washed it, I saw the damage. It was off balance. So I got some scissors and cut the other side. Ahhhhh! Symmetry returned!!! Luckily, I have my hair cut in a style that I call "Designer BED HEAD". It is hard to wreck something that is already a hot mess!! LOL LOL

Oh and the part about eating and making art at the same time. A-huh.

One time I was drinking soda from one cup right next to my dirty paint water cup. I was taking a moment to reflect on my painting, took a huge gulp from what I thought was the soda cup. I immediately realized, I had taken a huge drink of nasty paint water. OPPS!!!! LOL LOL