Sunday, December 28, 2008

Art Blog: Seventh ART Heaven

I had to go out today. I ran out of some supplies. I bought a new toy. It is a Black and Decker detail sander called a “Mouse”. I love it already. It is the perfect size for my little, mousy hand. Also, I had to go to Office Depot to buy lots of stuff. One of my projects relies heavily on techie stuff. I needed bunches of ink and paper, etc.

When I got back and unpacked, I returned to my work station. I just stood there looking. I can remember when I was in grad school, a professor asked some question like “Why did you decide to be an artist?” The very first student respondent raised her hand and said something like “I want to be an artist because I love making art!” Before she even got the last consonant out of her mouth, he snapped at her. Being the prick he was he said something like “Don’t ever say anything like that again! Of course, you love making art otherwise you wouldn’t be here. That is not the answer to this question!” She shrunk down in disgrace and despair. I did too. (Secretly, I was glad I didn’t raise my hand first!!! LOL LOL)

Screw him! As I gazed down at my table full of stuff in the making, I was in seventh ART heaven. This is what I want. I want to feel joy in my life. Making art brings that glorious feeling. All the crap that comes with an art career is the icing. However, making the art is the CAKE!


Thank you God for making me an ARTIST!

6 comments:

gilda said...

Sheree, I went to JoAnn Fabrics today to buy some yard goods to make curtains. For my studio windows! I have never made curtains in my life! I felt great as I picked out some semi-sheer white cloth to drape over the rods. No sewing necessary; got some fabric glue to create the hem at the bottom.

This purchase wasnt technically art supplies, but will cover the windows in this industrial area so I can make art without an audience. It's all going to the same place, for the same purpose!

Happy!

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! This is why I call this blog "Art and Life". It is all the same.

It is kind of ironic you commented first. Do you know the student and prof I was talking about? The prof was the big "E". The student was Lila.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........It must have made an impact on me. I still remember that moment like it was yesterday. Thank GOD I understand it so much better now.

Sheree Rensel said...

P.S. GILDA,
I want to see those curtains after you finish hanging them! LOL

gilda said...

I will send a jpeg! Or do a new video for my youtube channel.....more changes have been made in the space....most of my old large constructions are stacked up against the wall now.

namastenancy said...

I hate teachers like that and I love making art. Earlier this year, I decided to "interview" the studio arts teachers at SF State. After all, since I knew that getting into any art classes would be a struggle, I didn't want to waste my time and energy. One teacher didn't have time, one teacher never showed up and the third teacher made a comment about me not being 19 any more. I'm sure glad that I didn't waste my love of art and art making and art talk on those old farts. Well maybe not so old in chronological time but full of meanness and indifference. I've always wondered why some art teachers act like they hate both art and artists - maybe we feel their hatred because it's an attack on our hearts!
Ars longa! Vita Brevis!

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy, I have been very, very lucky in my art life. The majority of my professors were terrific. I have kept in touch with some even after all these years. The one I mention in this post has his good points too. He was just arrogant by nature. He had some redeeming qualities, I hear. LOL LOL