Monday, December 29, 2008

Art Blog: Walking Backwards


“Untitled”, Sheree Rensel

“Span”, Sheree Rensel
In a former life, I was a sculptor. LOL Well, actually I am primarily a painter, but sometimes media and genre lines get blurred. This is why I just say I am an artist. I did these pieces a long time ago. These are some of the few remaining pieces of that era. I sold most of them. They are long gone. I miss them.

In my early days, I was strictly a painter. Over time, I started creating little sculptures on the side. Eventually, 3-D work took over. Everything I created for the next five years would be sculpturesque. These small pieces were the earliest of that that group of work. Most were meant to hang on the wall. It is funny to see these again because I realize as the years progressed, the grey, earthy palette turned brighter and brighter. In fact, the last works of my sculpture period were polychrome in hues similar to what I use now. (In my case, I think my choice of palette has a lot to do with the time in my life. When I made these pieces, my life was pretty gloomy! LOL)

I have the sculpture bug again. One reason I stopped doing sculpture is because it takes up so much space. It is much easier to store flat work than to find places to stash 3-D works. However, this is a problem I will have to think about later. I want to revisit making three dimensional objects.

This has been on my mind of quite a while now. I have been collecting all kinds of “spare parts” and odd materials in boxes in my studio. I knew this urge was coming. Subconsciously, I have been preparing. In fact, I have already thought of a title for my new series of small, sculpture works. The series will be titled “ANCIENT ARTISTS”.


“Untitled”, Sheree Rensel


Stay Tuned!!

9 comments:

namastenancy said...

I really like these - the layers of paint, the patina, the foot-like shapes of the first two and the cave (?)/womb (?)...cavity in the last one. I'd add the words "still making art" to the title of Ancient Artists. Because we still are making art which is not to be scoffed at; a lot of the kids who are making art in their 20's won't be making art in their 40's, 50's or 60's. We got longevity. We Got Game!

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh geesh!

Boy Nancy, you are really stuck on this OLD age mentality aren't you. The title "Ancient Artists" is meant to be about artists in the past and the work they did back in history. I was thinking of the work to be similar to artifacts like buried treasure (akin to my "Treasure Map" series). I wasn't thinking anything at all about an artist's AGE.

JafaBrit's Art said...

the only bug I seem to have of late is one up my arse. Sorry that is crass, but I am just in a right mood last couple of days. I keep trying to think that I "should" have these grand goals and plans for next year but really I don't want to.

I like your sculptural pieces and I do relate to the need to integrate painting needs and sculptural needs.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
LET THAT GO! Who says you SHOULD have grand goals????

The only reason I give myself goals is just to have something to look forward to. However like you, I am a doer. We both keep busy and have bunches of stuff going on all the time. There is no reason or law that says we have to make a list of all the things we want, should, or have to do. If you don't want or need goals, don't even think about it! Let it go and save your energy for just doing what you want to do at any given moment.
:-)

namastenancy said...

I didn't mean that we are ancient; the pieces had the patina of age to me but I am still proud of still making art, ancient or not! I prefer to think of it as antique with lots of layers of meaning and history.

deb said...

I can relate to the storage issue, I had a party last night and a painter friend asked what the h*** I did with all my work, which is very large when I am not showing it... well it takes up a lot of space, good thing have a big house!!!

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
You are lucky you have a big house! I don't. Therefore, when I start building stuff, I will have to keep it very small and compact!
:-)

gilda said...

These pieces bring back memories, Sheree. I remember when you were making the handmade paper pulp, and when you showed me the Tapies book. Its funny that one starts out with subtle muted colors and morphs into bright vibrant colors. Sorta like what Matisse did...

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
Just yesterday, I was looking at the work of an artist named Andy Black. He uses bright colors, but some of his surfaces reminded me of Tapies. Gosh, I was such a fan of Tapies work. I can remember seeing one of his pieces at the MOMA (?) on one of my NY trips. I just stood there shaking.

I must be going backwards a little bit. I just washed off my papermaking screens after they have been in storage for almost twenty years!!! LOL LOL