Friday, December 19, 2008

Art Blog: WHY?

No matter how old I get or how wise I think I am, there are certain things in life that I will never be able to comprehend. I have been following the Caylee Anthony drama. It is a local story. Little Caylee has been missing for months. She was nearly 3 years old. Authorities have arrested her mother. The solid evidence, if any, is still secretive. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence. Her mother didn’t report her missing. Her mother went out and partied despite the absence of her daughter. Her mother seems like a loony. Yet, there was always that glimmer of hope. Despite my tendency to think the worst, I have held out hope for Caylee.

Looking at her sweet face, I was unable to imagine wrong doing.
You would think I would be able to realize there was something more to this story. You would think I could connect the dots. I have worked with the mentally ill for nearly 20 years now. Even so, there was a little part of me that kept thinking Caylee will be OK. I was proven wrong today. They found her body this week. The DNA confirmation came today. Her body was found less than ¼ mile from her grandparent’s home. Her remains were discovered in a wooded area near Orlando. She was in a bag with duct tape around her tiny skull. I can’t assimilate that information. I just can’t. All I can ask is “WHY?”



Oh sweet thing. You are an angel now.
God loves you. I do too.
Click pic to read the news story.

6 comments:

namastenancy said...

I saw that in the news and my heart just broke. I didn't believe that she could be alive after all this time but still, you still have a bit of hope. I couldn't help thinking of all the innocents that are brought into the world by the mentally ill, the unstable, the women who have no choice, in countries without food, water or decent health care -- and I want to shake my fist at the universe and scream DAMN YOU BASTARDS!
But where ever these abused and tortured little souls are now, they are in a better place. I just wish that the world would become a better place for understanding and then, preventing, such meaningless deaths.

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
I think there are many broken hearts. It just doesn't make any sense. I don't want to condemn the mother. She hasn't been found guilty yet. However, it seems a whole lot of things point in her direction. In this case it is doubly frustrating. If she didn't want to be a mommy, she could have left the baby with her parents. They appeared so involved in their grandaughter's life. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
I have heard those who are religious say that God lets things like this happen to teach us all. These little lives are not meaningless. I just don't think these lessons should be taught using the innocent. Gosh, the whole scenario is just so horrible.

deb said...

it really tests n my faith in a basically good world when things like this happen, it raises the hackles on my neck to think of that poor child, and as Nancy so rightly said so many others who's innocence has no choice. I guess the only answer I have is to reach the children I can touch and make their lives better, and to continue to live in hope. I think it will be a sadder story as it unfolds.

gilda said...

Evil exists. And many times it is the smallest of us who pay the price. I think about a similar case in the Metro Detroit area, a little boy named Dwan Sims. He still hasnt been found, and these two cases have a lot in common......his mother was the last to see him.

This baby Caylee is now certainly an angel....and maybe she is holding hands with Dwan, who disappeared about 8 years ago.

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
I think you are right. The WHOLE story is still a mystery. I am not sure we will ever know the truth. I am not sure I want to know more than I know now.
You made me think about the kids I teach. Many of them have horrible lives. Sometimes I think I contribute to at least a few hours of happiness to their lives.

Sheree Rensel said...

Gild,
Yes, evil seems alive and well in this world. No matter how long I live, this fact still shocks me. I remember seeing a story about Dwan. I can't believe how many children disappear and are never found. Gosh, this is so, so sad.