Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Art Blog: MILK

It is so true. Time does fly. 1978 seems like yesterday. Really, it does. When I watch this news footage, I still get chills. When I watched when it was originally broadcast, I cried. When I found this snippet on YouTube, I had the same reaction again.




It has been thirty years since Harvey Milk was shot dead. I remember how it was such a tragedy for San Francisco, the gay community, and our nation. He was a revolutionary.
The reason I wanted to write this post is because the movie “Milk” has just been released. I can’t wait to see it. I watched the trailer and I am shocked at how Sean Penn captures Milk’s personality and essence. Well, no I am not shocked really. Penn is one of those grand actors who are so richly and awesomely talented. I am not sure if the movie will be good or bad. I do know people should know about Harvey’s story. He was not a saint. He was just a human being trying to live freely and help others do the same. He was a very important person. He told the truth. His honesty has changed history. Maybe we can all still learn from him and his beliefs. I did.
Here is the new movie, “Milk” trailer.

2 comments:

namastenancy said...

I was in SF when this happened - heck, I've lived in SF since the mid-60's so when was I NOT here. I remember the candle light procession down Market St. toward City Hall. When I got to the Civic Center, I saw the Tac Squad massing underneath the rim of the square and decided that it was better to go home now. As we know, there were dreadful riots that night and a lot of people got their heads clubbed in. I understand the pain and the anger but I'm glad that I left before the police moved in for the kill. This is a wonderful movie and I just wish that some of the people who hide behind a narrow and bigoted idea of religion could see it. But, alas, most of them won't.
Still the times they are a changing. I never thought when MLK gave his "I have a dream" speech that we would see a bi-racial president. So, if that can happen and in the face of such foul insults and campaign lies, then anything can happen.

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
I actually thought of you when I posted this entry. I wondered if you had been in SF during this time. I remember that era so clearly. I understand your need to move on to prevent self harm.

Those were strange times. I was just talking to someone yesterday about how we "boomers" are so lucky in a way. We have lived through such a great time in history. We have memories of some of the most turbulent and wonderful times in recorded history. I love that about being 55 years old. I really do.

As for the bigots and backwards thinkers, I am very frustrated. It might be easier for us to understand because we are artists. I have known gay people since I was a teenager since many are in the arts. Some have been great friends. It makes me so angry that some people want to tell others how to live their lives or want to point and demand certain lifestyles. Believe me; this kind of mindset makes me sick. I will become a rabid Chihuahua if you tell me what to do or how to live my life. Why would I expect anything different from anyone else?