Thursday, February 19, 2009

Art Blog: Artist Economic Stimulus

Today I finally got a response from one of the MANY college teaching jobs for which I have applied for in the past six months. Here is an excerpt:

“Thank you for submitting your application and materials for the position of Professor, Art….. Currently, the needs of the College for this position have changed and we have cancelled this position.”

LOL LOL LOL LOL Gee, I wonder why they canceled the position? LOL LOL LOL All I could think of is Gomer Pyle saying “SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!” LOL LOL

This is no surprise at all. In fact, I found out this week that my current job is facing a 10% salary reduction. Holy ShhhhhhhMacaroni! What is a girl to do? It doesn’t matter to me. My day job gives me 1000+% more money than my art career. With a 10% pay cut, I will still be making at least 900% more than my art sales. LOL So it goes.

All this is such an example of synchronicity. Just yesterday while preparing a blog post, I was sitting here thinking about all this economic stuff and wondering what would happen if the government started up a “NEW AGE WPA”. If it did, would you apply? For the fun of it, I looked at photos of WPA art and wondered what would happen now. How would that program look? What kind of art projects would be assigned? OK, I will admit, I was bored and I just wanted to follow all of my zany thought patterns. Actually, it was fun thinking about it.

Then today, I came home, settled down, and watched the Kalm Report on YouTube. This video made me laugh. I thought it was such a great idea albeit tongue-in-cheek. Who would turn down an “Artists Economic Stimulus Grant”? Watch the video and you will see what I am talking about here. Tee Hee HEE


Money for Artists, James Kalm
Click the pic to go to the video

6 comments:

namastenancy said...

I think that a lot of us are glad for those "day jobs" even with salary cuts. However, you and I get our salary cut and the bankers still get bonuses. It may be under the counter but they still get them. I am afraid that in hard times, art sales do down even further but I'm hoping that some of us can set up a barter system. Will trade art for...

gilda said...

In the past, I have traded art for dental work, glasses, art supplies. It was a great system, but its difficult to do now.I would love to trade art for groceries or car insurance!

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
I have bartered before. The only problem with this system is in down times, people want to barter for practical things, not art. I am just fine keeping my day job. This is exactly why I have always liked having a day job. It takes the financial pressure off me and my art. Also, since I work with severely emotionally disturbed children, my job is secure. Unfortunately, this population is growing by leaps and bounds. :-(

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
HA! Do you know when I got divorced, I didn't have to pay my lawyer a dime? I paid her totally in art. LOL LOL LOL That was too cool!

I think those days are gone. We will see.

Miriam's Art Journal BLOG said...

I love those letters....so polite, yet not much hope in them.....I am looking for an art related job too, but in DC.....not many out there....


Miriam

Sheree Rensel said...

Miriam, No. There aren't many jobs out there anywhere. I looks like I am going to have to keep my current art job. Thanks for your comment! :-)