Sunday, February 22, 2009

Art Blog: Data

I mentioned my exhibition timeline yesterday. It is such a great help. I chart all the exhibitions I enter. I record entry date, works entered, notification date, delivery date, and exhibition date. I love being this anal. I suppose this is why I have been able to thrive and survive teaching too. I really love making charts and collecting data. Maybe in another life I was an actuary(?)

I had made an off the cuff remark in a recent post about looking at where I have shown my work. I think sending my work off to places is so fun and so ironic. I hate to travel. Yet, my work seems to love it. I wish it well on its journey. I kiss it goodbye and then, I give it hugs when it returns. That remark about wondering how many states I have shown my work was simply a passing comment. However, it started to weigh on me.

Simultaneous to that thought, I found an old map placemat my daughter used as a child. Immediately, I realized this was going to turn into another data chart. Today, I went through my exhibition record and put a star in every state I have shown my work. There were a whole lot of repeats. Obviously, I am very heavy with Michigan and Florida showings. Also, it seems I have a number of shows repeatedly in other eastern states. I only put one star for each state though.

I got my chart done and I was shocked. Look at it! I can’t believe how many states I haven’t shown in yet. It seems I have concentrated on the east side of our country. Is it because most exhibitions are there or do I get rejected more in the west?

This is so cool to see. I added my Mexico, Germany, and New Zealand travels. I was totally shocked to see I had never shown in Ohio?????? Oh come on now! I mean I lived in Detroit. No Ohio? It is also a shame I have never shown in places like Texas, New Mexico, or the northwest. So many U.S. states are without a star! Hmmmmmm.............

Westward HO!!!!


6 comments:

gilda said...

Sheree, I may have asked you this before, but where do you find the shows to enter? Do you get them from Art Calendar?

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda, Yes, you did ask me before and I told you I find them bunches of places. I do subscribe to Art Calendar. However, there listings are a bit spotty. There is a lot of stuff in it that isn't of interest to me. I also subscribe to Art Deadlines. However this past year, I have found that just doing searches on Google about once a month gives me more than enough things to put in my "To Enter" file.

When I find things that look interesting, I always look up the venue online. I also research the juror. That doesn't always help, but at least I know if they support some kind of art that is very different than my own. This way, I don't waste money.

deb said...

why do I feel you will immediately set about rectifying those blanks states so they get stars too?

Miriam's Art Journal BLOG said...

money....that is my issue.....I stopped entering b/c of the ridiculous fees....I do appreciate your post....It makes me want to perhaps enter soon as well.....do most of them still require JPGs now....?

Miriam

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
Oh I will keep showing my work and hopefully fill up that map. However, I think I have to really look for shows in some of those places. I am not all that worried about it. I am just moving along. It will be interesting to see what my map looks like in a couple of years though! :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Miriam, Money is a HUGE issue. I spend a ton of money doing this. It isn't only the fees you have to worry about. You have to pay for the cds, mailing supplies, and shipping costs. Also, you have to have all the computer equipment to make the CDs! That can get very expensive.

Yes, I only apply to shows that want a CD with .jpgs. I am done with slides. Not many places want slides anymore anyway.

I totally understand why you would be hesitant. There have been a number of times in my life I wouldn't have been able to do this at all. When my daughter was little, there were some lean, financial times. There are always good years and some bad years. It all works out in the end! :-)