Saturday, February 21, 2009

Art Blog: Subjectivity

I got a jolt of adrenaline, mixed with ice water this morning! Yesterday I got another rejection letter. Oh well. I got up early this morning with every intention of getting out in the studio and starting anew. As I tried to wake up, I got on the computer to read my emails. I looked over next to my computer at my “exhibition timeline” chart. I realized I had to update it to reflect my REJECTION. I opened the timeline file on my desktop and noticed I had omitted notification dates on a few shows entered. I went to put them in and realized one date had passed. I had never heard anything. I went to the website and they had the list of people who got into the show. My name was there! Whhhooo-hooooo! Then, I freaked out. Why didn’t I hear anything? Well, I looked in my email SPAM folder and there was the email sent three days ago! I looked at the shipping deadline and it is this coming Wednesday. YIKES!!!!!!

At that point, I was up and running. (ARTISTS PLEASE NOTE: Did you notice how I quickly forgot about the other exhibition from which I was rejected? I will speak more about this in a moment.) So I ran and got the piece that was accepted, found a box, frantically filled out more forms, gathered shipping supplies, and zoomed to the post office for a priority shipping. It took me about three hours to do all this, but at least that painting is flying to Illinois as you read this. Hooray for Sheree!

Now I will speak about the rejected pieces. I know I have mentioned this before in a post long ago. It must be an important memory because it is fresh in my mind always. One time I worked with this woman at an art center. I was telling her about an upcoming show and how I was so happy I got into it. She said “Sheree, you get into every show!”. I looked at her with a scrunched up face and said “NO I DON’T! It just seems that way because I enter so many shows!!!!!” I remembered this exchange again today. Those pieces that were rejected have been a few shows. Somebody liked them. Yet, this time the juror thought they sucked. Well at this moment, I think his judgment sucks, but that is water under the bridge. The Illinois juror liked my work. I want to think about that interpretation right now. All this is so subjective! Please remember that.

Sheree, are you listening?
The moral of the story is just to keep on doing what you do. Keep on entering shows and looking for opportunities. Like me, you will probably have more acceptances than rejection. Let us pray.





This is a perfect example of subjectivity. I am having a GREAT hair day. I have been trying to get my very fine, hay stalk, straight, bleach blond hair to do a kind of Japanese anime thing. I have been growing it out and trying to make random strands point in every direction. I did good today! Now I know for a fact, some people look at my hair and think BED HEAD or what in the hell is she thinking? However, I am doing this look intentionally because I like it! That is my opinion and I am sticking to it! LOL

10 comments:

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Funny how a bit of good news can erase the bad news.

You know I refuse to respond to the subject of hair. I have nothing to talk about.

Terry

Sheree Rensel said...

Terry,
You crack me up! No, you sure can't talk about hair issues. However, maybe that is a good thing. You are free and easy. You don't need to even think about such trivial matters!

YES! Good news does erase the bad. At least, it puts a huge damper on nasty stuff in life. It took me this long to realize this. I guess I am a slow learner!
:-)

deb said...

Thanks for restoring my subjectivity, as you may know I've been whining alot this week, lack of sleep, lack of energy, and of course you are right, who cares what they think!!!

As to hair, I too am the owner of stick straight hair, right now longish, but driving me nuts!!

Martha Marshall said...

Congratulations on the show, Sheree! That's fabulous. And we all know juried competitions are a numbers game. Doesn't help much to know that sometimes, though, when a rejection comes in the mail.

Love the hair!! Love it.

artconstellation said...

I love it. It is bed head and it looks great. I do not think there would be an actually styling product called 'bedhead' if it were not stylish. ;-) Either way- it looks good. I love getting updates when you post to your blog on my 'google reader' and I love how positive you are about always just making your work and being how you really are. I know I keep writing this, but I love your blog and your writing makes me happy. I hope you have a good day. Jenny

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
I think I am mellowing with each day that goes by. Remember my "What really matters" post? It is OK to whine, but it is much more pleasant to just surrender and move on. If you think about it, it REALLY DOESN'T make any difference what anybody thinks. It really doesn't. Find stuff to make yourself happy and that is what matters.

Sheree Rensel said...

Martha,
Thanks! I am on a roll! It is about time! I am playing my own numbers game now. I figure if I can put enough stuff out there and offer my art in a bunches of places, somebody will nibble. They are nibbling now! :-)
Thanks for loving my hair. I think artists "get it". It is all the other people that give me the raised eyebrows. LOL LOL

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh Jenny,
Keep writing! Keep writing!! It is fine! Say the same thing over and over! I love it! You have to understand, I live in a kind of self imposed "Sheree the Artist bubble". I make my art and write this blog on days when I haven't spoken to another human being. Sometimes days go by and I think I am the last person on earth. So hearing from people who peek into my life is so encouraging and makes me so happy!
Thank you so much!
:-)

gilda said...

I love your hair. That is a great picture. Keep on doing what you do....

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
My hair is a work in progress. I know how I want it to look. I just have to get it to obey!! LOL LOL