Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Art Blog: What REALLY Matters

I am so happy right now. I feel like Sheree the Artist is doing quite well. This is a super, terrific feeling. Let me tell you more. I know this post will be an example of circumvention. My words will seem like I am going in circles until the end. That is fine. Please read on.

I bought this book at Barnes and Noble. I don’t need another book in my house. However, I couldn’t pass this one up. It is a book on the artist, Gustav Klimt. I have always loved his work. I have never been so interested in his figure work. It is his patterns and compositions that amaze me. This book is huge. It measures just a tad over 14” X 17”. It was only $19.99! I bought it because I realized I have never seen a Klimt original. I have never seen a Klimt close up. This book offered me a bird’s eye view of his paintings up close and BIG.

I got the book home and wondered where I would put it. For the moment, I decided on the coffee table (of course). I will get around to looking at it in a day or two. It has sat there for a few days and I have gazed at the cover. That’s it.



Yesterday a friend at work cornered me in the hall. She said “I need to talk to you.” I thought that was kind of weird. At least, I felt some kind of bizarre vibe going on. I looked at her, smiled, and said “Let’s go to my office.” This woman has been my dear friend for over 15 years. We have shared many good times. We got to my room and she looked at me with tears in her eyes, told me her husband has cancer, and the prognosis is not good. I could feel a jolt run through my body. I know her husband. I know her entire family. My head started spinning immediately. This woman married this man when she was a very, young woman. This has been her only serious relationship. She idolizes this man. I cannot relate to this. Shoot. Since I was 22 years old, do you know how many “relationships” I have had? (Oh that is getting way off task. I will have to report about this in another post!) I stood there looking at her with tears welling in my eyes. I couldn’t imagine what she is feeling right now.

My friend and I talked for an hour. The emotions ran the gamut. We both expressed sadness, desperation, contentment, peacefulness, and anger. We hugged and left for home. I drove home with an eager sense looking to express road rage. Luckily, I walked in the house innocent, unharmed, and I sat on my couch.

I have spoken to quite a few people about how when you get past 50 years old, it is common to hear of friends and loved ones becoming sick or dying. This is life. I have not assimilated this information yet. It is still shocking to me. As I sat on my couch trying to make sense of it all, I looked at the Klimt book sitting there unopened. I grabbed it and flipped it open. This is the page that appeared.



“Death and Life”, 1910, Gustav Klimt

I looked at the painting. I looked at it again. I remembered I have felt so very happy in the past month. I was honored to look at this wonderful painting. I was excited because I feel a kinship to Klimt’s creative pursuit. Then, I realized. This is all that really matters. In fact, that is the true purpose of life. It is going to end. In the meantime, it is important to make yourself happy via any means possible. For me, that means is being an ARTIST.

11 comments:

deb said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, prayers and blessing all round. I have to say that Klimt is one of my all time favorites, there is an excellent movie about his life, the women in it look so much like his work it is unreal. Have you seen it?

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb, No, I have never seen a movie about Klimt. I would love to! What is the name of the movie??????

JafaBrit's Art said...

boy that gave me chills that you opened the page you did in the book. I didn't realize there was a klimt movie. I will have to check that out.

artconstellation said...

I really enjoy your blog. It inspires me to read about other artists making their work and I am so happy you are making yours! I love Klimt too and it is great to find such joy in the work of other artists. :)

Jenny

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
You know, stuff like that happens to me so often, I am not shocked by it at all. In fact, when I brusquely flipped open the book and that page appeared, I just looked at it as if I expected it.
It is kind of spooky though, isn't it?
LOL LOL

Sheree Rensel said...

artconstellation,
It is so good to hear from you. Thank you so much for letting me know you read my blog. Also, I am so glad you get something positive from it. Have a great week! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Klimt! I could look at him forever and like you, it's the patterns and the metallics which get me.
Eva

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
You got it. I could cover the figurative imagery in his work and just bask in the textures and color. I am not saying he wasn't a master figurative artist. I am just not all that interested in that part of his paintings. In fact, I love looking at his landscapes without my glasses on because I can make out the patterns, color, and composition without my mind telling me this is a tree or a garden or whatever. LOL

Anonymous said...

He influenced me a lot at one time. I used to do bodypainting since I was a makeup artist anyway. And I would use gold and silver eyeliner to make spirals all over the body. Klimt is the best!

Eva

Eero said...

I love Klimt, too. Can you imagine how stunning it would be to see those paintings in person?

deb said...

The movie was made in 2007, its title is Klimt, I think it was based on a stage play from Austria, its a little weird in a surreal way, but it is so visually stunning. I saw some clips posted on youtube, maybe you could check those out before renting the whole thing. Like I said the most amazing thing to me was how uncanny the resemblance between the actresses in the movie and his work was...