Monday, March 30, 2009

Art Blog: Getting older and BETTER!

I spent about an hour last night reading a book on urban art. With every turn of the page, I was reminded how young I am not. Every chapter glorified and illustrated the world youth culture. It is not really unusual for me to feel invisible. It is kind of scary when I flip through the TV channels and I can hardly relate to anything or anyone. I guess this is a good thing considering what is on TV. To be honest, I love my age. I wouldn’t want to be twentyish again. I really wouldn’t. I am so glad and thankful to have lived the life I have lived so far. I am so glad I am done with schooling. I am done with children. I am done worrying about stupid stuff. I am done with all the drama.

I really love where I am at right now. My age is not a problem to me. If someone takes issue with a person’s age, that issue is more about them then the person they judge. It is just getting so out of hand. I feel like puking when I hear a TV commentator say about an actress “Can you believe how good she looks at 40??” or wrinkle cream commercials with 30-somethings whining about their one wrinkle.
Shut up!

However, I am here to bring you GOOD NEWS. This will put a smile on your face! I promise. This is a brief video about Hazel McCallion. She is the mayor of the city of Mississauga, the third largest city in Ontario. Her city is debt free! She has been the mayor for over thirty years. Hazel is now 88 years old. Watch the video and I dare you not to laugh and smile. I want to grow up to be her!



Click the pic to see HAZEL in action!

Also on a positive note: Do you know our brains become more creative with age? Here is a cool little article which explains why.



Click to read: Creativity and the Aging Brain
By Shelley H. Carson, Ph.D.

2 comments:

Eva said...

Here are some others who like you are getting older and better. It's a FAB blog!

Advanced Style

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
I cannot thank you enough for giving me the link to Advanced Style. In the past 24 hours, I have been obsessed with this notion. I only regret, I have not carried my camera EVERYWHERE!

Today, I had to go to the hospital for physical therapy. I sat waiting, a couple came approached in all their glory. He looked like a very fashionable Broadrick Crawford. She was (a slightly lighter Bea Arther) presented herself in a stunning Channel casual outfit. Oh so Florida chic! Her huge Channel belt buckle shined! I sat there looking and regreted I didn't have my camera. Live and learn!

When I was released from my appointment, I walked back to my car. Then lo and behold, I saw a woman I would guess was approaching 80. She was wearing a black straw hat that just had to be at least 3 ft wide. She held the brim as she walked the sidewalk as if she was on the runway at fashion week. It was so beautiful. I almost yelled out the window "You go girl!"
These experiences have taught me a lesson. I have learned to carry my camera everywhere!!!!!!! LOL
THANK YOU!!!!!