Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Art Blog: Hindsight

When you make art, there are stages you go through in the midst of the creative process. There is the initial desire to create and a feeling of discovery. We take time to think and organize our intentions. Those thoughts turn to passion and the willingness to commit. During the creative process we can encounter smooth flows and moments of frustration. Sometimes during the creative roadblocks, we retreat to lick our wounds. Hopefully, our energy is renewed, we march back into the studio, and we go in for the attack! If we are lucky, the battle will be won and we grin with satisfaction. We take pride in our accomplishments and then let the work go. With this release, we start the process all over again and begin new work.

Right now, I am in between stages. I have started my Treasure Maps series. I have finished licking my wounds after feeling they are not going the way I want them to go. This past month I have thought a lot about the direction of my work. Also, I have been looking back on my past influences. Hindsight helps to see the present with 20/20 vision, right? As I look at all my work, I am asking “How did I get to this art place?”

When I did those awful heart paintings, (They aren’t so terrible. Even though they served a purpose, I just hate them because they are too cliché.) one good thing that happened was I began thinking about a long lost favorite artist Antoni Tàpies. His surfaces and use of materials has always fascinated me. When I was in art school, he was my hero. I would add sand and gunk to my paint back then. I loved textured surfaces and unusual matter. This is why I remembered his work while working on the Love pieces. For the first time in long time, I added sand to the paint. The sand is the only thing I like about those paintings.

Another blast from the past who has been on my mind constantly is Rauschenberg. I just bought four books on his work. My favorite is this huge book called “Rauschenberg: Art and Life” by Kotz. It is gorgeous!

Continuing thoughts of past influences, I picked up a book on Paul Klee. I love reading about artist’s lives. His work was my first love and my indoctrination into “modern art”. It is great to look backwards like this. I see things in such a different way. Also during this exploration, I am finding little surprises about me, artists of the world, and my own art history.



This made me laugh out loud! As I read the book on Paul Klee today, I came across this familiar painting. I looked at it with fond memories. I didn’t remember the title though. I looked and read the caption.
THE TWITTERING MACHINE, 1922
I just laughed! Klee was making a statement about how society was relying on machines and forgetting about nature. In our current TWITTER world, I realize Paul Klee’s insights were so true!
I love this trip down memory lane!

6 comments:

WEE-HOO said...

I like reading your blog. It makes me feel like I'm not so alone. **I struggle with where i am and where i am going as an artist. I feel what I do is meaningless even though to me, it is full of meaning. I haven't quite learned how to get my point across. And I am easily destroyed by negative feedback... There are people who just want to make you feel bad about yourself. Anway... thanks for writing your blog!

Gayle said...

That is a hoot about Klee's "Twittering Machine." He's one of my favorite artists. I guess I must have stepped on some toes with my latest post about tweeting, but I'm with Doonesbury and Leonard Pitts on this one. I just don't get the appeal of our latest technological marvel. I understand the appeal of blogs--way too much--but twittering every half-baked thought 24/7 is way more "info" than I need.

Sheree Rensel said...

WEE-HOO, I am so glad you like reading this blog. You are the ICING on my cake! You see, I really write this blog for me. I have no expectations in regard to readership. I just think it is a thrill anybody reads it! I totally understand what you mean about feeling like what you do is meaningless. I have times like that too. All artists do! Also, even though I started making art back in the dinosaur days, I STILL get upset when I am rejected. I don't think that will ever go away. One thing I have learned though is that other people don't MAKE ME feel bad about myself ever. I am the only one who can do that. You know? People can't MAKE you do anything or feel any way without our permission to do so. I have that concept down pat!
THANK YOU for reading my blog!! :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Gayle, I am right there with you on this TWITTER thing. Let me explain why I am on board with it now. I joined Twitter back in 2007. I think I tried if for an hour and it drove me nuts! I thought it was idiotic. I abandoned my membership.
Since I have been down for the count lately due to my leg injury, I was bored. Also, I kept reading articles about Twitter. I decided to log on again because I wanted to give it at least a month so I can really judge the pros and cons.
I will be the first to agree there are a lot of cons. WHO CARES WHAT YOU HAD FOR DINNER?? or I just don't want to read "I am leaving the studio to go take your kid to soccer practice". blah blah blah.
However, I have been won over in one way. I have already met a couple of artists who are actually interesting. I like chatting with them in short, funny bursts.
The jury is still out. I am going to give this a go until the end of the month and then I will post a blog entry about my findings.
Tweet Tweet Tweet!
P.S. Isn't that Klee Twittering machine too funny!! He was before his time!! :-)

namastenancy said...

No wonder we connect so well over the Internet - Klee was my first artistic love and I still constantly turn to his work for his unique vision. He was prescient in so many ways about our modern world and to think that he foresaw "twitter" 70+ years ago! He was a visionary, a mystic and a social critic all in one.

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy, That is the truth! I still can't get over the Twittering Machine! I think many artists are visionaries. This is why artists have the reputation for being mad and wacky! We know better!