Sunday, March 8, 2009

Art Blog: Spitting in the Wind

I have been thinking a lot about the direction of my own work. I looked on my website and I just wasn’t feeling the love. Recently, I have mentioned being restless. I like what I have done overall. However, the work I have been doing the past few years isn’t really me at all. I think I have been trying too hard to make “products”. I am a process girl so that goes against my nature. It is as if I have been trying to make nice, neat little packages. Easy to ship and palatable enough to please more people. In fact, I think this is the reason my art is so scattered right now. I feel bored with my own work and I can’t keep my own attention long enough to make a solid series of honest work.

During this session of analysis, I had the thought I wanted to take every piece of art I own into my studio and paint it over it with white paint. All of it! Luckily, I decided against this primal urge. I am glad I wasn’t drunk when I thought of that idea. I might have actually done it! LOL LOL LOL

This feeling of wanting renewal has haunted me for days. I want a fresh start. Today, I got a push in the right direction. Somebody called my work “funky”. OMG! I know the person meant it in a good way, but to me that description is almost as insulting as saying my work is “whimsical”. NEITHER ADJECTIVE applies! NO NO NO NO NO!!! I don’t want my work to be perceived this way. However, I am glad this was said. I am so glad. I was in my studio when I read that interpretation of my work. I turned around, grabbed a bunch of paint cups, and went crazy wild. I spit in the wind! I painted over every canvas in my studio. I didn’t white them out, but I colored them out! I am making a huge, wide U turn. “Funky” my ass!

Of course I have nothing done. In fact, the only thing I accomplished was to make some really big messes this weekend. However, I am feeling the love right now. These are lovely messes that are going to help me find a true direction.
This one will be part of my “Treasure Maps” series. I like the way it is going.


“Ice Road”, acrylic on canvas, 24” x 36”


Here are two more treasure maps I have shown here before. Those images are gone now. I just wanted to show you the transition. They are not done at all. They are still works in progress:
BEFORE:

NOW:

“Going Home”, acrylic on canvas, 24” x 36”

BEFORE:

NOW:

“Not in Kansas”, acrylic on canvas, 24” x 36”

I sure am glad I am calling this the “Map” series because I sure don’t know where I am going right now!

4 comments:

deb said...

Ice road looks like it is going somewhere very interesting... very!

Gayle said...

I relate to your feelings about your art--I've fantasized about having a big bonfire and burning everything up. At least they'd serve some function LOL. I took a workshop a while ago and the teacher/pro. artist said my work was "too decorative" for her tastes, but couldn't tell me what the difference was between the "good" art of a fellow (pro) artist and my art. She called on the students to answer my question (some teacher!) I think most people don't mean to hurt your feelings with their labels for your art, but I wonder about others. BTW, I love the scratches and lettering on your first painting--it's intriguing.

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
Yep. I like Ice Road too. However, I don't think that is where I want to go. I am still trying to figure all of this out. Ice Road or works like it is not winning my favor though. LOL LOL LOL We will see.

Sheree Rensel said...

Gayle,
Oh decorative schmecorative! I am glad I got out of school a long, long time ago! Since then, I learned not to listen to crap like "Your art is too anything!"

Geesh, half the stuff hanging at New York art fairs right now could be considered "decorative".
I understand why the teacher said that to you. It relates in a weird way to why I flew off the handle when someone said my art was "funky". It sounds like that teacher was trained at a university art department similar to the one I attended. We learned it is BAD to make decorative or funky or whimsical art because it isn't taken seriously.
I am still suffering from that brain wash. None of it is true, we just have to move on. However, I still don't want people to call my work FUNKY! LOL LOL LOL LOL