Sunday, March 1, 2009

Art Blog: Virtual Art Opening

I went to an opening in Atlanta, Georgia on Friday night. I didn’t really go there physically. The opening for the Art House Sketchbook Project (<---More pics here) was broadcast live via their website. It was so cool! If you logged in early enough (space was limited), you got to be a part of the chat room that showed the opening in progress.



The camera placement was not ideal. Most of the time, you could only see the backs of people. Also, it was a bit dark. Even so, it was so much fun watching the people and talking to the others in the chat room.





There was a microphone on the camera too so it was kind of weird hearing little bits of chit chat as attendees stood near the camera. I heard one guy working the room too! Every female he met, he would hand them a line.
LOL LOL LOL





I LOVE this kind of opening! I have said before, my art zooms around all the time. I don’t like to travel, so obviously, I rarely go to openings. I really don’t miss that because I am not a smoozer and hate crowds. However, this kind of opening was fun because I could sit here in my sweatpants and not worry if I didn’t feel like smiling at people.



Once the opening was underway, occasionally someone would hold a random sketchbook up for the camera to see. I was so excited when they held up this one. I am pretty sure it is our own JAFABRIT’s book! I was so excited! I was yelling in the chat room. “Jafabrit! Jafabrit! That is Corrine’s!!! I know her! She is my friend!!” I am sure the others in the chat room were thinking “Gee wizzlewolf, get a grip!” I didn’t care though. I get excited easily.
Tee Hee HEE

6 comments:

Eero said...

What a great way to attend an opening! I hate crowds, too. I have an artist friend who decided never to go to art openings unless they were her own because she hates the stress to be social.

That's us; introverted artists.

Thanks for your words on my blog---it's good to know people who understand.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eero,
Yes! Isn't that cool. I suggested they should also add a webcam feature so those of us at home can really BE THERE!! LOL
I wish all openings could be broadcast live.
About your blog post: I really don't know exactly what you are going through. I know for sure it must be so painful and difficult. That is the part I understand. However like I said, with time it will transform. ((((Hugs))))

WEE-HOO said...

That is so cool. I was not home so I didn't get to see the event... I'm hoping for Studio 620 to host the sketchbook project... I also bugged the arts center about hosting it... So are all the sketchbooks on shelves? I wonder if anyone steals a sketch book...?? Glad you were able to be one of the 50 to see the show in real time!

Sheree Rensel said...

Wee-Hoo, It was very cool! I am not a fan of Studio 620. However, I would route for the Art Center! Yes, all the sketchbooks are on little bookshelves all over the gallery. If you go to that Flicker link I attached to the name ART HOUSE in the post, you will see a better view of the entire gallery. By the end of the night, they were thrown all over the place!! All the artists in the chat room were talking about the theft issue. Oh, it would be so easy to just walk off with one or a dozen for that matter. It will be interesting to see what happens in this regard. We will see! Thanks for stopping by and seeing the post! :-)

JafaBrit's Art said...

Oh my gosh, yes that is MY book, what a kick. I am grinning like a cheshire cat. Thank you so much for posting this, I really appreciate sheree. and wait till I show my friend Nancy, the one depicted on the page.

What a great idea for the opening, to have a live webcam and chat page. I tried to get on but I couldn't, but this has made up for it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for documenting the Virtual Opening.
That was the highlight of my day..well, weekend..really meeting a lot of people on the "virtual room "
Twas really fun.

Cheers,
Girlygirl..