Sunday, March 29, 2009

Art Blog: Welcome to PARADISE

I am trying very hard to keep a regular routine during daylight hours. I don’t want to fall back into my vampire ways. It is so hard on my body when it is time to snap back. If I let myself stay up all night, it can take me weeks to get back to being able to function during the day. So I went to sleep at midnight and got up about 7AM.

This morning, I have been doing research for my new paintings. One of the topics of interest is predators in our society. I have been surfing around the internet looking at mug shots of predator scum. Gosh, this is like self inflicted torture. Why do I do this to myself? I hate looking at these animals. However, I must be onto something because my emotions are off the chart. I hope I can translate these feelings via paint.

I found one website in which you could search your own neighborhood for sexual offenders/predators. I knew this would be interesting. I live in a tourist area known for sunshine, palm trees, and sand. Criminals love it down here! So I put my address into the search engine and came up with this lovely map. This is just within a three mile radius of my home.
Oh this is so disgusting!!!




Welcome to paradise!
This is so creepy. I hate even thinking about this stuff.

P.S. I DIDN’T WIN THE LOTTO OR POWERBALL LAST NIGHT. LOL LOL (previous post)

8 comments:

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

wow..don't even want to look at the map in our area.
Curious and looking forward to the art you create (then you come and look at mine for peaceful stuff LOL!)
hugs,
your tweet buddy,
Claudia

Sheree Rensel said...

Claudia,
Yeah. It makes you wonder. I started looking at the pictures of these people wondering if I have ever stood in line next to them at the grocery store!
I wonder what kind of art will come of this too. Hmmmmm. I know it is such a negative topic. However, it is a Yin/Yang world. We all can't paint peaceful pictures of beauty. Art would be lopsided if we did.

chris billington said...

Hi Sheree, lots of activity here, you are obviously packed full of creative energy, keep up the good work especially that lovely painting skill of yours :)

Sheree Rensel said...

Thanks Chris.
Hyperactive as usual! :-)

JafaBrit's Art said...

the sad thing is that a lot of predators don't look horrible, they look like your nice neighbour, your minister, your uncle, your father, your teacher etc etc.

I was a victim of a predator, my father, and it was impossible for many to believe he would be such a monster. He was witty, and handsome and fun, and much admired and he was able to pull the wool over their eyes because predators are masters of illusion and manipulation.

I look forward to seeing the work that comes out of this. I would say let your emotional response to exploring this lead some of the work.

namastenancy said...

Checking out the number of predators in your area code is always scary. I did that once and I was shocked at how many dangerous thugs, rapists and other low life live pretty close to me. No wonder I don't go out at night.
Stay safe!

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
I emailed you personally. Also I must say, I am not sure what is going to happen with this. It is causing me great discomfort. I have been diddlin around for the past two days. I even got a new sketchbook to try to find a direction. At one point yesterday, I almost said "forget this idea"!
We will see!

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
I know. Isn't it creepy? I am going out to the grocery store right now. I will be watching over my shoulder!!! YIKES!