Sunday, March 22, 2009

Art Blog: What REALLY Matters

Well, I have bunches of new art supplies sitting here looking at me and can’t decide what to paint. I want this new work to be fresh and improved, so to speak. I want to create something different, yet familiar. I want these pieces to be pointed in a direction for which I am proud. I want to be spurred on by each finished work to make another and then, another.

For this to happen, I have to paint about things I care about. I want my work to be meaningful. My art is my voice. Every mark is proof I have been here on earth. I want those marks to mean something. This is why I love those paintings about social issues I have done in the past. They were about issues for which I felt strongly and for which I needed to make a statement.

I got a “tweet” yesterday from a young artist and it said she interpreted my work as daring. When I read that, I almost felt ashamed. I really did. I know how cowardly my work has been lately. I have been doing wimpy subject matter this past year because I didn’t want to make waves and I was trying to appease more people in order to widen my audience. Well, that hasn’t really worked. I knew I was being insincere. Also, I am not the kind of artist to make products for the purpose of sales. I want my work to mean something despite the public distain. Many don’t want to hear it. So perhaps, I will die poor. This is a trade off. Regardless of the art I do, my audience is still small enough to fit in my hand and I have SMALL hands!!! I don't think it matters what kind of art I create. This is not a popularity contest. It is just fine with me.

It is important for every artist to find their niche. The only way we can be truly successful is to make art about things that make us FEEL. If you look at a landscape and it takes your breath away, paint it! If you are a people watcher and love interpreting the human form, make that a part of your life’s work! Neither of those genres appeals to me. What really floats my boat is when I take on social issues that make my blood boil or makes me want to cry or rejoice, injustices, ignorant antics, and that news story that makes me want to jump up and scream. YES! That is my cup of tea! I want my work to have meaning and purpose. If I paint about social issues, I feel like I am accomplishing something by taking a stand. My paintings take the form of my opinions and make the noise of my tiny voice speaking out. I don’t care if I get flack for being depressing or painting about ugly things. Hey! It is a Yin/Yang world. There is beauty and there is the grotesque. I don’t care if people don’t agree with my stance either. I just don’t care anymore. I am doing what I want to do. I am throwing away the fear. It is time for my little light to shine. I saw this quote and added it to my sidebar today. It is very apropos.

"Miracles start to happen when you give as much energy to your dreams as you do to your fears."
Richard Wilkins


Baby Angel (left), Predator Scum (right)

So as I sit here and look at the blank canvas, all I have to do now is pick a topic. Hmmmmmm….what will the first one be? I think it just has to be about Jessie. She is on my mind always. I cry tears for her. It is hard for me to even think about her life and death. It is so hard. Now, it is time to make art in her honor. I just have to make a painting about Jessica Lunsford and all the other baby angels. I just have to do this.

2 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I can't even put into words what I feel about scum like this and the horror IT inflicted. ugh!!!!!!

WEE-HOO said...

A very noble cause... I hate that bastard and all the others like him.