Monday, March 9, 2009

Art Blog: The WOW Factor

I am thinking out loud here. Bear with me. The inner turmoil continues. Well, it isn’t really turmoil. (Drama Queen? LOL LOL) I will call it the search for inner truth as it relates to my art! LOL LOL Oh geesh. Now that sounds more than a tad pretentious! (GAG)

Seriously, I will cut to the chase! I see this dissatisfaction with my art as a kind of renewal. It is like an art “makeover”. Finally today, I said to myself “JUST PICK ONE DIRECTION!!!” Ok. I will pick one direction, but which one?

There is a part of me that wants to peddle backwards. I love the work I used to do dealing with shape, color, and texture. There was minimal imagery, but the work had a life of its own.



Another part of me wants to do three-dimensional stuff again. That is unlikely. It takes up too much space. I have even thought of renting another studio. Hmmm.



I love my recent mixed media stuff, but I think that is the cause of the “funky” description. (last post) I want to move away from that. What I am really searching for the “WOW Factor” again. I am not talking about wowing anybody but myself. This is the kind of work I have done that makes me the most proud.



(Click any pic to see larger version)

The only problem with this kind of work is I LOVE the outcome, but the process is so tedious and time consuming.
It makes me crazzzzzzzz-y!
I wonder though if it would make me crazier than I feel right now. Still thinking……..

7 comments:

artconstellation said...

I think the most important thing is to make the work that you really love- the most honest work. And also... it probably would not make you feel crazy (you would not have such a strong reaction to it) without reason. The last images you showed were by far my favorites. I also feel like they combine elements of the other ways of your working that you showed. I think it is hard to make good work. I think that is maybe why so many people try to 'come up with an idea' or do something easier than working on one piece for a long amount of time. Good luck.

artjas said...

I vote for shape, color and texture. It might be good for the soul.

namastenancy said...

There's nothing wrong with the word "funky" - think The Beats, think Bruce Conner, think fun, fantastic, fantasy, fabulous and ...FUNKY!

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy, I never said there was anything WRONG with the word "funky". I said I don't want my art to be interpreted or labeled funky. I don't like that word. If someone wants to call their work funky, that is fine and dandy. PERSONALLY, I just hate that word and the connotations associated with it.

Sheree Rensel said...

artjas,
Yep. You are right. I am still trying to make up my mind. However, I realize the SOUL connection. The jury is still out. I guess we will see what happens! :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

artconstellation, You are so right about everything you mentioned.

"The last images you showed were by far my favorites."

Mine too. Also, I agree with you that the work makes me crazy for very good reasons. It is very challenging for me to paint this way and all this type of work deals with social issues. Yet, I play a kind of mind game as a create them. I try to stay as neutral as possible, yet I am making a statement about society. I think that is the part that makes me crazy.

namastenancy said...

I meant no disrespect. I didn't realize that you had such a strong negative reaction to that particular word. I've been looking at the work of certain 60's and 70's feminists, notably Hannah Wilkie and I think that your sculptures are reminiscent of that as well as stuff done by Eva Hesse if she used your vibrant colors. I'd love to see some text with the paintings; they are both colorful and very, very powerful.