Saturday, March 14, 2009

Art Blog: You Have Always Had the Power

Did you ever feel like you were chasing your tail or in a whirlwind spinning out of control? This is how I feel right now. I feel like I have been putting so much energy into everything I do. I am frantically working, pushing, and grasping for self satisfaction and peace of mind. Yet instead of finding my truth, I have just set myself up to spin faster.

This morning I was thinking and this installation popped into my head.


“Emerald City”, Sheree Rensel
Installation, Michigan Gallery, 1986

I guess I thought about this piece because it has to do with what I feel right now. One of my problems is that I am looking outside myself for answers to my art, my life, well…..everything.
I know better.

Trying to concentrate and keep focused on your true heart’s desire is very difficult. This is especially true in this age of technology. I find myself searching, reading, looking, tweeting, blogging, marketing, connecting, befriending, researching, etc. etc. at breakneck speeds. I am not even sure of what I am looking for anymore. I see a lot of these distractions as a deflection and a diversion from what I really need to be using my energy to do. Also, all the media over stimulation turns your brain to mush if you overindulge.


The GOOD WITCH was right.
There is no place like home.


We all have everything we need within us. We all have our own unique powers. I have known this most of my life. However, I get tangled up in the rat race we call life and forget what I know sometimes. I need to use my power to look within. I have all the answers right here inside me. It is time for me to start clicking those heels!


GOOD WITCH: Dorothy, you’ve always had the power to go home.
TIN MAN: Why didn’t you tell her?
GOOD WITCH: She had to learn it for herself.
SCARECROW: What have you learned?
DOROTHY: Well, if I ever go looking for my heart’s desire, I won’t look any farther than my own back yard.
GOOD WITCH: Now the ruby slippers will take you home.
DOROTHY:Toto, too?
GOOD WITCH: Toto, too. Close your eyes. Tap your heels together three times, and think to yourself “ There’s no place like home.”
DOROTHY (SHEREE):
There’s no place like home.
There’s no place like home.
There’s no place like home.

4 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I have been on a blogging marathon and it is a diversion yet I am not sure it is a bad thing. I am wondering if my muse wants that diversion to give me time to let whatever needs to find me will. It is strange, I do feel a bit lost. I am not having a artist block, I just don't have the desire to paint like I did. I decided to accept it as meant to be and not stress about it too much. Still feels slightly odd though. I have no idea where it will take me.

Maybe it is burn out after so many years of frenzied activity. I don't know!

I guess what I am saying is I relate.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
I think it is bun out for me. I am burnt crispy! I just had a message on Facebook and when I got there, I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. It is just such a BUSY screen. Then I had messages that I had ignored and friend requests. ARRGGHHHHHHH! I can't take it anymore!
I have been just chillin this weekend. I did a new spash for my website, but that is about it.

I am preparing for my next breakdown: I have to go to the MALL to get my haircut. OMG! Give me strength to stand that place for an hour! LOL LOL

We will be fine. We both need to SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW Down. That is all.
:-)

Eva said...

the colors in this piece are fabulous - so drenched. interesting that it is over 20 years old but still feels like you today.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
You know, you are so right! I think of this as being one of the TRUE things I did. Yeah, over twenty years old and it still haunts me.

However, you just said something that has made me think. If someone who knows me walks into my house/studio now, they almost always look around at all the walls and say something like "This place LOOKS like you!" Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe I am not as far off track as I feel.
LOL LOL
Sheree