Thursday, April 16, 2009

Art Blog: Facebook FREAKOUT

I just got a notice that someone “befriended” me on Facebook. I accepted her friendship. Her first comment to me was:

“Sheree your picture is weird - it does not look like you”

I took her comment to heart. I just sat there and looked at this comment on my Facebook page. To be honest, it hurt my feelings. I am not appreciating my looks lately. I am dealing with the aging thing and trying really hard to pretend it doesn’t matter. (Catch me later to find out how this attitude adjustment pans out!)

My first action after reading her words was to change my picture. I did that. Then, I saw the comment sitting there glaring at me. This comment hurt me. I am not even sure what she meant. However, the true, WEIRD thing is this comment came from a person who knew me back in the late 70’s. Ahhhhhhhhhh…….OK. Let me do the math. That was thirty years ago. Now I ask all of you: Do you look the SAME as you did thirty years ago?

I thought not.

This brings me to the point of this post. I hate FACEBOOK. I signed on, created my profile, and started to connect with people. It has done nothing for me except waste my time. I have been invited to join groups for which I have no interest. I have been poked and prodded asking me to do this and that. All my “FRIENDS” are people who I knew back in Detroit. They weren’t my friends when I lived there. Most of them wouldn’t give me the time of day back then. This is very interesting to me. So why would we be “friends” now? I have no clue.

It isn’t just Facebook. I have the same thoughts about other internet social networking sites. In the past few years, I have been left nonplussed. I hop on web bandwagons because I want to be a part of the action. I want to be knowledgeable. I want to be a part of the “in” thing. However, I don’t really see the Yin/Yang of these endeavors. I see me jumping to do what is required to be a part of the action. There is very little reciprocal, positive response or outcome. I have come to a point in which I need to weed out dead wood and refine my internet experiences. At least, I want to optimize the energy and time I spend on sites. I am looking for a “bang for my buck”. Maybe for those who are social by nature, venues like FACEBOOK work. I am not or never have been a social butterfly by a long shot. I am a card carrying, bona fide loner. Therefore, I just don’t see the point for me to use these sites and don’t see any benefit. I truly believe some of you who read this will relate. If we weigh out our output and then weigh the input of our internet adventures, we might decide to make an adjustment. This is why I deleted my FACEBOOK account.

They won’t miss me; nor I them.



I still use TWITTER. I love this. For me, Twitter is more about information and spontaneous relationships. I relate it to posts about “breaking news”. I like this. If you follow the people in your interest area, Twitter can be very fun, exciting, and WORTHWHILE. This is what I am looking for right now. I want to feel like my time and effort is being used in an optimal manner.
I don't think this is is a bad aspiration.

18 comments:

viv said...

hi sheree, your art is gorgeous & advanced!!!i love your art. facebook is very conservative.this women don't understand your art, thats all, forget it..it does not matter what she said at all. hug and love to you.
viv :)

Sheree Rensel said...

Viv, Thank you so much for this comment. I have to disagree to a point. I suppose this is why I hurt so much. "The woman" is someone I held dear to my heart. I admired her as a young, fledgling artist. Maybe this is why I took her comment hard. I thought I was about far more than my LOOKS. I guess not.
This is such a shame because this is as it should be.
We are all about so much more.Sheree Rensel

Eero said...

Hey there Sheree,
It seeems like EVERYONE is on facebook---I hear people talk about it at work and parties...

So far, I've resisted joining for the very reasons you outlined: another internet time waster that I would pour energy into and receive little back.


BTW---Have I ever told you that I love your hair? I've seen a couple of pix of you over the past however many months/year (?) and you look wild and creative and free.

E.

Bill Evertson said...

Humm - I was thinking the same thing about facebook. I set it up a month or so ago and haven't really done anything with it except link it to my blog. Same with a couple of the other artist communities out there. Can't decide if I'm just lazy or need those hours elsewhere.

deb said...

Sheree I love the way you look, and how often I see your picture on your blog! I use facebook to stay in touch with my family in England, and old school chums etc over there, and I occasionally check in to make sure my kids aren't engaging in risky behaviour there, of course knowing their Nana can read their posts keeps it all pretty much above board.

Eva said...

Sheree, The conversation about how women look is never ending and it comes from women even more than it comes from men.

It's actually not about how you look. The body and face of a woman is a game and it's open season. Look how much men are judged and measured in this way. Not nearly as much.

It's also possible that they're just jealous.

You look great!
(And if you didn't, fuck 'em!)

namastenancy said...

I like the way you look just as I like your art. As far as Facebook and My Space and the rest of that goes, well, I never had time for it. There are too many ways to waste time and too many places where you are told to give! give! give! and somebody else takes! takes! takes! I learned my lesson from a couple of early Internet newsgroups so now, I keep a safe distance. I love the dialogues that I have with you and a number of other people on the internet but that's a far cry from what I've seen on Facebook, etc. I call it Faceblank and Blah space - shows you what I think.
Optimize - it's priceless!

Miriam's Art Journal BLOG said...

interesting story.....I have facebook battles in my head all the time.....

the other day the brother of my best friend said he was mad at me because i never responded to him online......I was floored...I love this guy and would not shun him on purpose....I asked how he contacted me and he said he sent me a note through Myspace....I do not have a working myspave account...well, I do but not one I pay attantion too...so all this time he was thinking I hated him.....I told him.....next time just pick up the damn phone....or use good ol' e-mail......

I hate the people on it who LIVE on facebook and do and do all those tests and post their results....I see one of my friends do about 10 of them a day....WTF!..get a life...

Miriam

Sheree Rensel said...

Eero, Don't bother joining. It isn't worth the time and effort. Really.

Sheree Rensel said...

Bill, I don't want to taint your impressions. You can come up with your own opinions. Obviously, I have expressed mine. LOL

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb, If you find Facebook useful, USE it! I don't have kids or chums, or anything like that on Facebook. Maybe this is why I don't care about it.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
OH! I could write a book about the points made in your comment. I know. I know. I know. I am so frigin sick of this! I am going to write a blog post soon about all this "appearance" crap. I am just so tired and weary of all the babble. The thing I fear most is the fight is so huge, I fear trying to to take a swing at it would be a waste of time. It is so overwhelming. The saddest part of all of this is so many WOMAN buy into this crap. It is a sign of our times. It is very sad and scary.

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy, You have that right! It is a matter of how we spend our time and the things we CHOSE to put our energy into. Crap like Facebook are bloodsuckers. Maybe for some, it has a worth. For me, it isn't worth the energy to press the URL link. I want to make my time worth something. Also, I want the things I do to mean something. Time is short. We have so much to do. Why do we waste it on mindless things like this?

Sheree Rensel said...

Miriam,
You wrote:
"I see one of my friends do about 10 of them a day....WTF!..get a life..."

I think you hit a nerve here! You are absolutely right! This is why I HATE crap like Facebook. You see, I HAVE A LIFE!!
Thank you for your wisdom!

JafaBrit's Art said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JafaBrit's Art said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf, Thanks, but now I realize I wasn't really hurt. I think my feelings are about being PISSED. Stay tuned. I am writing about this right now for my next blog post.

Dayna Pitcher said...

Thank you for this fb commentary. I agree 100% I also hate fb. I hated having fake friends and even worse, fake family. If these people really cared about me, they wouldn't wait 10 years to get in contact and then only fill me in on stuff like when they are going to sleep and what color paint they just bought. I finally just left a note telling them if they wanted to know about me, read my blog. No more rejections or objects and food being thrown, etc. Then it was goodbye to Facebook. I wish younger users would realize it's not all that safe to be posting certain pictures and content. Just because you have to approve friends doesn't mean it's private. Anyway, thanks for your post. I totally concur.