Friday, April 10, 2009

Art Blog: Philip Glass / Candy Jernigan

“What came to me as a revelation was the use of rhythm in developing an overall structure in music.” Philip Glass

The PBS “American Masters” series broadcast a documentary about Philip Glass this week. The film was superb and jaw dropping. I have always loved the music of Glass. For me, his work is magical and transcendent. However to have a glimpse of his work process and everyday life is beyond interesting and amazing. I could go on and on about how this documentary is fabulous. It was so enlightening. You really need to see it to understand. Just watching him compose music is seeing genius at work. Watch your local PBS listings or order the film. It is well worth the time and effort.

One thing that really hit me while viewing was the revelation of his obsessive nature. He composes every day. Everything he does becomes life ephemera related to his art. Even the quote written above is proof of this continual search. He has been driven by using rhythm as his thesis for more than 50 years of creating. He makes no apologies. He basically shuts a good portion of the world out. He has been married many times. It seems he wants a partner, but his true lover is his music. This is sad in a way, but I understand this. I really do.

Among the Glass wives was Candy Jernigan. Tragically, she died of liver cancer at the very young age of 39. She too was a brilliant artist. My interest was perked while listening to the interviews in the film telling about her life and art. For the past few days, I have been reading about her and looking at her work online.

The thing that pulls me toward her work is that same obsessive nature. She made art about her daily life. She would collect the most common and/or unusual ephemera and document it through multiple media. I find the work so beautiful and fascinating. Yet what is even more interesting to me is the compulsion to do this work. I long for this kind of drive to appear within me EVERY day.
Screw the rest of the world.






A photo and the work of Candy Jernigan

1 comment:

deb said...

WOW, I LOVE her work too, I have images of her stuff all over my studio and in my sketchbooks, it is amazing!!