Monday, May 25, 2009

Art Blog: ART Workaholic

Holiday? What holiday?



I am being facetious. I am not a holiday kind of girl. The only reason I might like holidays is because it gives me more time to work. I know if there is a holiday, I will be able to seclude myself and do whatever I want in order to get things done. I have designed my life this way. I am single. I have one daughter who has her own life and lives a distance away. I have never celebrated on holidays because I saw these days as opportune moments to be creative.

Sometimes I feel bad for my daughter. She (literally) learned to walk in my studio while trying to maneuver between hammers, pliers, pieces of wood, and broken glass all over the floor. There have been many times in her life that Mom was busy with art or creating one project or another. I feel bad about this sometimes. I feel bad she didn’t have a “Leave it to Beaver” kind of Mommy waiting for her with cookies as she walked in after school. I am not that kind of woman. I never have been and never will be. I have even told her that I don’t want grandchildren. If she has kids, I don’t want them to come over here! That sounds so terrible, but it is true.

I just want to do my work. I am driven. I am obsessed. I am crazy in an irrational, art way. I have a one track mind. All I want to do is create and make things happen. I have always lived an art life. This is what makes me happy. This is my passion.

I know this is why I am alone. However, this is a funny thing. I love being alone. My isolation is intentional. Some would feel sad to be alone during a holiday. Not me! I rejoice. Yes, I smell the barbecues burning and the kids laughing outside. Yet, I don’t regret my art life alone here in my house and studio sans holiday celebration. Nope.

So how did I spend my day today? It started with prepping wood for some assemblages and a sculpture. I have hired someone to cut and drill various pieces for me. I love the fact; I can pay someone to do my dirty work. Then, I worked on the Twitter Art Show blog post and prospectus for more than 5 hours. Holy Macaroni! I am surprised I am not blind. I wrote, read, and reread that thing until I was cross-eyed. I got it done and uploaded it!

Ahhh…BLISS!!



As I prepare for my “day job” vacation, I had stacked some paintings on a table. I am trying to decide whether to plaster them all over my living room or put them away in a crate. In the meantime, I looked at the stack. I paint the sides of my paintings or at least let the paint run down to create a mottled edge. I walked by this stack today. Just looking at the edges of the paintings took me aback.
Isn’t it pretty?
Welcome to Sheree World!
Koo-Koo, Koo-Koo!!! LOL


life, wizzlewolf, painter, studio, art job, workaholic, living your passion

6 comments:

deb said...

you are one crazy driven woman, I took a a vacation for a change! I love the image of the paintings stacked on their sides, and I love the glimpses you give into your "crazy" art world!

gilda said...

Hey! The sides of your paintings remind me of a luscious, beautiful confection! They are the evidence of constant, total, work! Keep at it, Sheree!

Ralph Ivy said...

I can only echo the comments above. I ran across your blog a little while ago, checking out JAFA's blog, and saw a comment you had also made about hard times.

I am luckily retired (been so for several years) and that, topped with a crazy ride for 3 week's on Death's pale horse a year ago April (I am now 1 year plus being in an alcoholic recovery program, am using every day to post as much of a life's work of art journaling onto the web. Getting it down And enjoying the whole new word of artists I am finding here. I am going to an AA meeting in the next hour, but I will certainly look further into your work. Thank you.

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb, I know I am a crazy woman in a crazy world. I planned it that way! LOL

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
I knew you would like the sides of my paintings. That goopy, dripping paint is what we are made of, right? :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Ralph,
It sounds like you are doing well and enjoying life. That is great. Thanks for commenting here. I appreciate your input! :-)