Friday, May 1, 2009

Art Blog: Our CAUSE

The first portion of OPRAH’s program today spoke of the “Invisible Children” in Africa. You can go to her website to find out the details. I don’t want to promote it here. The reason I don’t want to go to the trouble and lead the way to those sites is because I am just too tired. I am nearly worn out trying to fight this consciousness and media induced frenzy. I want and wish all of us to provide the best for our own FIRST. Yes, I understand there are kids all over the world who need help. God! Please make it stop! However, it upsets me when I see and hear all the talk and encouragement for all of us to run to the aid of foreign children when some of our own children are drowning in a world of chaos.

What is up with this? Why is it so easy and fashionable to support kids in other countries? Why? I cannot explain or express to the fullest extent of my soul how this concerns me. I work with these “invisible” kids every day. Some of OUR KIDS have all kinds of problems. Not only are they emotionally disabled according to the state, but their life stories and situations should make anyone’s heart ache. These are my kids. These are YOUR kids. These are AMERICAN kids who live a tragedy every day.
I ask why they aren’t a priority. I ask WHY?
Please answer me. OPRAH!!!





Click to read text

This is akin to revelations via the art community. I have noticed that there is a bizarre attraction to foreign artists.
OH! If an artist lives in Italy or New Zealand, they must be good right? Well maybe so, maybe not.
I can say for sure, our kids here in America hurt the same way as those kids in other countries. I know this for sure because I see and hear them cry.
PLEASE support our kids FIRST! Please.

11 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

My mother would get irritated even in the 60's because she felt the aid helped the corrupt governments escape responsibility for their own citizens. A lot of the aid money going into the pockets of corrupt local officials.

Aid has been going to Africa since I was a little girl and it isn't working , still the same corrupt officials, still the same starvation.
It is heartbreaking.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
That isn't really my point. I am concerned that we aren't taking care of our own BEFORE we take care of others. This reminds me of buying the next door neighbors kids braces for their teeth when your own children have no shoes! This is just wrong.

namastenancy said...

I hear you! Tangobaby, whose blog is on the sidebar of my blog, has been trying to help a homeless mom with three small kids get into a decent shelter or some sort of housing here in SF. When it's a mother and kids who are fleeing from domestic abuse, the shelters are full and the social workers don't even return her calls or - in one case - finish taking an intake interview. When I worked at SF General, I used to wonder at the lopsided priorities - millions spent each year to pick up the same chronic drunks from the street again and again and again. Yet, little or nothing spent for decent housing, health care, jobs (which would prevent a lot of the hopelessness) or education. Then, we have the millions spent for such grandstanding events as the "slow food" festival where our mayor had the lawns around City Hall dug up and planted with "Organic" greens - which had to be guarded because the homeless would have taken them for food.
Crazy times, crazy times.

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
Exactly! The problem is the times don't seem to get any more sane. In fact, I think it is getting worse. I guess I shouldn't complain. At least, I have job security. Needy and abused children are quite abundant and the numbers of them are growing each day. My job is secure.

Your story about guarding the food for fear it might be eaten is exactly the kind of lunacy that is driving me crazy. I just think it is time we yell from the rooftops. This is NUTS!

JafaBrit's Art said...

I know Sheree, I did get your point, it is just that every since I was little it was drummed into us about the starvation abroad (eat all your food their are children starving in Biafra). People pour money into aid overseas with little regard of how that money is NOT helping and don't realize how much their donation could REALLY help at home.

deb said...

Charity should begin at home, I have always believed what goes out comes back in. There is plenty of grief, want and need right here in our own backyards, and that seems a greater sin to me, living in one of the wealthiest nations on the planet...

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for saying this. I worked for a couple of years as a CASA in Seattle (Court Appointed Special Advocate) for children of abuse and neglect. Very nice liberal friends refuse to seee the kids right here! Kids in need, kids hungry, abused, homeless, and invisible. I think it is easier to feel distance.
Elizabeth

gilda said...

This was a great post, Sheree. I have felt like this for a long time. It bothers me mightily when those with power or notariety go as far beyond our borders as possible to adopt a child when there are so many grievieously needy ones right here. I dont begrudge the ones who have been brought here by wealthy actresses and singers, but would they get the same kind of publicity if they went to Tennessee or Arkansas or Texas for a child? Lots and lots of youngsters who could use help.

Even though I am a dyed-in-the-wool Macintosh computer person, I applaud Bill & Melinda Gates wholeheartedly for their philathropic pursuits that are not about posturing or publicity.

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
I think this is one of my new mantras. CHARITY needs to be at home. America needs this attitude more than ever right now. :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Elizabeth,
Isn't this the truth!! That is my point too. I work every day with kids who don't have shoes or a jacket. Some come to school so hungry they ask me for something to eat. Some of my kids are filthy dirty and look lost.
I don't think many people understand that it can be this way here in America. However, it can. I witness it every day.

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
You know exactly what I am talking about. You live in Detroit and the plight of our kids is so evident there. It is very common down here too. Florida is a magnet for transients. There are so many poor children. It is so sad.