Saturday, May 16, 2009

Art Blog: Prayer for Farrah

Did you know that Farrah Fawcett studied art at University of Texas at Austin before she was “discovered”? I didn’t. In fact until last night, I knew very little about her. The only thing I knew for sure was she was a Hollywood pop culture celebrity with big teeth and bigger hair. I am of her era. I remember the commercials she did. I remember that poster. I also remember that first year of Charlie’s Angels. I never really thought much of Farrah. It isn’t that I didn’t like her. I was just indifferent.

Last night, my opinion of her changed dramatically. I didn’t plan on watching “Farrah's Story” last night. I flipped through the channels at 9pm, but saw nothing of interest. So I decided to watch it. I was fully prepared to be bored or change the channel within minutes. I didn’t. In fact, I was mesmerized. I couldn’t believe that within the first fifteen minutes I was glued to the screen while wiping away involuntary tears slowly running down my cheeks.
I haven’t stopped thinking about Farrah and her story in the past twelve hours. This video documentary about her fight with cancer was extremely gripping, courageous, brave, and awe inspiring. She was adamant that the film show everything. She wanted people to know what it was like to live with cancer. She wanted to show how much you have to want to live. This was no gloss and polish Hollywood production. Some of the scenes in this video are brutally honest, sometimes ugly, and horrifying.

I respect you so much Farrah. I am not sure I could be as strong or willful. I am not sure I could do what you have done for the past two years. You taught me bunches of life lessons last night. I want to thank you for this.



Even though you are now frail and have lost your beautiful golden locks, you are more beautiful now than ever in your life. I say Godspeed to you on this part of your life journey. I will say a prayer for you. However, I am sure God knows you well. You are one of his true earth angels.

7 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

sheree what a beautiful post and a reminder that there is always more to people than what we see on the cover.

GILDA said...

I watched the show when it was rebroadcast on msnbc last night. I too grew up watching Charlie's Angels and her other films. Now I have just watched the most important filmed document she made. Thank you, so much, Farrah. God Bless You. Maybe your plea for more cancer research will be heeded. It is up to us to keep up the fight.

I know well about the struggles with cancer. My sister just celebrated her one-year anniversary of the success of a blood marrow transplant to fight her myeloma. The five year struggle against this blood cancer was so daunting, so complete. My sister prevailed, but the fight is not over.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
Oh! I know this so well!

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
Thanks for saying this. I have been so infuriated the past few days because a NYT reviewer panned Farrah's documentary. She had her own issues with the production. However, I don't see it as a forum for health education or the promotion of cancer research options. I viewed Farrah's story as her own experience. She wasn't exploited. She pushed the scenes of her life forward very willingly! I can't get it out of my mind.
To be honest after watching this, I am not sure I would go ahead with the treatment options. I am not sure I would. Farrah showed such strength and courage just like so many other people living with cancer. I am not sure I am that strong. Or maybe, I am not sure I would think all the pain would be worth it.
To each, his/her own.
Sheree

gilda said...

I don't know if I would be strong enough, either, Sheree. Pain is so frightening to me. My sister said that one has to 'make friends with the pain, because it lets you know you are still alive'. I just dont know if I could do it.

I try to imagine what kind of state Farrah is in at the moment, between waking and sleep. I imagine passing away when sleeping is the easiest way.....does one simply stop dreaming? Or does the dream become super real, and lift you off into that world that none of us can imagine?

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda, In a very weird, bizarre way, I have been thinking about this too. Since I live alone and my daughter is off doing her own thing, I wonder what would happen if I died in my sleep. I might not be found for days. This is horrifying until I realize, I wouldn't know the difference. I would be dead. LOL I know this is so brutal to think about, but it is true. If we die in our sleep, we don't know we died. You know?

NSABOB said...

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make all cancer disappear.