Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Art Blog: Creative Bank Account

This post is not about money. It is about the amount of creative energy we spend making art.

I haven’t written in a few days because I have been working so hard in my studio. The Twitter:140 deadline is approaching and I still have to finish my piece for that. I had a slight disappointment with the assemblage I am making. I am using sheet copper. However, I didn’t have enough full, true copper to use, so I used this lightweight copper sheet instead. I noticed it was oxidizing as I worked on the piece. I liked the shiny quality and copper color, so I attempted to wash off the oxidation with water. That made it worse! I then started to clean the copper with salt and vinegar. It really made it shiny again. However as the hours progressed, the copper started to turn dark with an added greenish patina in some places. (NOTE TO SELF: Don’t believe everything you read on the internet!) I am not sure if I like it this way or not. I am debating whether to just leave it this way or go get some thicker copper and do it all over again. I don’t know though. The patina is starting to grow on me.
Oh the drama!! LOL

This is why I haven’t written much this week. I am embroiled in all kinds of other creative activities. The only new thing I have been working on is the Twitter piece. All the rest of my time has been spent completely finishing pieces I had already started. I am tying up loose ends. Just doing the final painting details, varnishing, cleaning up the backs, attaching hook-eyes and wires can take so much time. The current issue is where in the world am I going to hang all these things? Some rearranging is in order. I don’t like leaving finished work in my studio because it gets wrecked. One wild swing of a paint laden brush and things get ruined. However, the rest of my house walls are nearly full! I am going to have to figure out how to make more wall space. It will be worked out.

I titled this post creative bank account because I realized today, I am nearly overdrawn. I came home from the dentist and just didn’t have it in me to go into my studio. I need a tiny break. A time out is in order. This realization brings a grin to my face because when I tell people I am an artist, they envision that it is a stress free life. Artist go in and “La dee da” around and live a life of glee.

People don’t realize that if an artist is working long hours in the studio it is like any other job. In fact in my case, I seriously think my studio time expends MORE energy than when I work my day job! This is significant since my art students are severely emotionally disturbed special ed kids! Art studio work takes a lot of energy and can suck the life juices out of you.

OK, enough. I think I will work on my website today. Yes, that is still creative but that energy comes from a different account. Here is my newest Treasure Map. I showed it once before while “in progress”. It is done now and ready to hang. I love it. I especially love the story behind these maps. I will write about this soon.


Click pic for detail view


“Ice Road”
Sheree Rensel
Acrylic/Mixed Media, 24” X 36”

3 comments:

Lizardo Art said...

You have been pretty busy lately! Maybe its time for a solo show with all of that work. :)

gilda said...

I agree! A gallery full of Rensels!

gilda said...

I agree! A gallery full of Rensels!