Monday, June 8, 2009

Art Blog: The IRONY

Today, I had another post half written. I trashed that blog post because I got word of something so devastating and hurtful, I couldn’t continue with that thread. Instead, I want to write about systems and bureaucracy.

There are aspects of my day job I loathe. As an artist, I think about freedom. If you work for a corporation or systemic organization, freedom is lost and never heard of again. My day job is with a school SYSTEM. With this employment comes the realization you have to do what the system tells you to do. It reminds me of the movie “Catch-22”. If you are a youngster, you need to rent this movie. You need to learn about how crazy life can be.

It is so ironic. I was all a tizzy this past year. I wanted to leave my job. I hated it. It was just too much trouble, too bizarre, and far too stressful. After going through a summer of applying for other jobs, I realized I love where I live. I love my job situation even though there were issues. I just didn’t like some of the stuff that comes with my job. After thinking for a long while, I decided I wanted to stay. The reason I came to this conclusion is because I loved my boss. I felt she was doing the right thing and with time, things would get better.

Well, today my world crumpled. My boss got fired. I am sitting here right now wondering what the hell I am going to do now. I am a very hot mess! What I think might happen makes me feel like vomiting. There are so many questions and no answers.

Ok. Ok. Ok. Get yourself together Sheree. I just got off the phone with my daughter. She kept repeating “You will be OK, You will be OK.” She went on to say “Everything happens for a reason.” In other words, get on with it! Gee, I wonder where she heard that from?

This is going to be a LONG summer. I wonder what will happen next.
Life is strange.



Use your BRAIN? HA! I am really pissed my boss was fired. She was a very cool person. She had the best interest of the kids as a major priority. Among many good qualities, she realized the importance of the arts! I don't understand why they would let such a good person go. However having worked for "systems" before, I know common sense is not always applied. People don't always use their brains. This is very sad.

5 comments:

gilda said...

This is understandably a devastating occurence for you Sheree! I agree with your daughter...you will be alright, you will be okay. These are difficult times for arts in education, and we all have to hang in there as much as we can.

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Sheree,

Yes, you just had a big old irony bomb dropped on you.

I clearly remember this time last year where you were going to get out...no matter what and I can really understand your stress at this point.

As much as I try to encourage people to change and do new things, those that know me closely also understand that the thing I dislike most is.....change.

We are experienced survivors and this will all work out. I know you know that.

And you never know...this change could be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Now, get on with enjoying your summer...while I get dressed for the office.

Terry

T

JafaBrit's Art said...

oh boy what an image, it says it all, but how can you use your brain when your body is reacting to the unknown arg!

Not sure what the implications are of this woman being fired, but I hope they are not as dire as you worry about.

JafaBrit's Art said...

plus, sorry to hear she got fired for the reasons you pointed out.

Unfortunately people continue to underestimate how art can really compliment/strengthen the other subjects like math, english, comprehension, critical thinking skills etc.

deb said...

Sorry to hear your sad news. It absolutely sucks that art comes last. In my children's schools they decided to make it part of the "unified arts" curriculum, which basically means they get art once every FIVE semesters, it is absolute C*&%. And they wonder why some student's are so disenfranchised, especially those who need art as a place to be inside the system that lets them be.
BTW your brain pic made me think of that article in this month's art news... I didn't actually read it yet, but I looked at the pictures!!!