Monday, June 1, 2009

Art Blog: Zorro

I broke one of my art student's hearts today. While we worked in the studio one of my best students looked at me and asked “Ms. Rensel don’t you just love cats?” With my normal brutal honesty and unchecked mouth, I replied “No. I hate cats!” His face just fell. He went on to tell me about his cats and asked why I didn’t like cats. I told him all the reasons cats are just not my thing. I am a DOG person.

When the class was over, I felt bad. I realized how I should have lied. I should have made up a story and described the folly and bliss cats bring to my life. However at that point, it was too late. As I drove home, I thought about all this. I have only had cats in my life for a few years. At the time, I was living with a guy who loved cats. He would bring strays home. I hated that. One of his cats had kittens. We kept one. I named her Zorro. She was a very cool cat. I loved her. I really did!

Despite my distaste for cats, Zorro was special. She wasn’t an ordinary cat. We bonded and hung out. I loved looking all over the house for her, only to find she was laying on the top of the door looking down at me. I liked her sense of humor. I taught her how to play PING PONG. I created a ping pong table and laid it on the floor. I used a paddle; she used her paws. We had a blast!

As months flew by, I became concerned. Zorro wasn’t growing. She got to the size of about 6 months growth and then stopped. She looked like a kitten even after her 1st birthday. I finally took her to the veterinarian. He realized there was something wrong, but in order to find out, we would have to do extensive blood and genetic tests. It would cost money.

I didn’t have money back then. I thought it would be fine to have a tiny cat. Just a week later, I found Zorro dead. Obviously, she had some kind of unknown medical issue. I remember holding her and telling her I loved her. She was the best cat I ever knew. Just like we all remember loved ones, I remember Zorro.



This is not Zorro. However, it looks just like her. When I think back, I know Zorro knew she had a good life. She knew I loved her. Even to this day, I bet she is playing a mean game of ping pong with the cats and dogs in heaven!

4 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I don't know sheree, I don't think you have to lie to kids or pretend. I think it is how you respond that is key.

I am more of a dog person, but that sure is a cute pic of the cat and your zorro sounds like a special exception.

Eva said...

I think it's great that you tell the truth.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
You are so right. I don't think we should lie or pretend with kids. In fact, I am always candid. I think that is why the students at school respect me. They know I tell it like it is. It is just sometimes, the truth hurts.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
You know I tell the truth even though it makes life a little more difficult albeit interesting. You are the same way! We both deserve a pat on the back!!!!!! :-)