Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Art Blog: The Human Being

One thing I don’t like about the world right now is the ever present buzz of media mania. Everyone has an opinion. Those opinions are shouted continually via television, blogs, news/gossip websites, Twitter, etc. etc. There is a continual barrage of screaming voices that has come to resemble a 21st century, technological Tower of Babel.

Unless you have been living under a rock this past week, you have experienced too many yakking beaks commenting on Michael Jackson’s life and times. His death was the spark and there are millions of people standing around fanning the flame. Now that the burn has reached far beyond three alarm status, people scurry and scream “FIRE, FIRE!”. It is a spectacle of self induced mass hysteria.

I have never been a Michael Jackson fan. I think I might be the only person on earth who has NEVER bought one of his records. This is weird because Motown is my home town. I appreciated his work. I remember watching the Jackson 5 when I was a little girl. I just never collected any of their songs. I thought the Thriller video was stupid. I did appreciate his style of clothes. It is undeniable he was a great artist. I was in awe of his ability to write, sing, and dance.

One thing I have thought about for days is how celebrity distorts our vision. As I watched MJ clips, interviews, and memorial telecasts this week, I was reminded that even though Michael was a superstar, he was first and foremost a human being. He made mistakes just like all of us. He had dreams and wishes. He felt the pains as well as the joys of life. Every time I saw Michael on TV, I always noticed the sorrow in his eyes. He didn’t really need to wear that surgical mask. All his plastic surgeries masked his true identity long ago. His sadness and emotional confusion was always so apparent and obvious to me.

One of the most chilling things I heard this week was a radio interview with MJ. In his own words, he described how the music industry is so destructive. He mentioned all the young musicians who succumbed to death via alcohol and drugs. He reminded listeners to take care of themselves and their bodies. In light of Michael’s early death and the mysterious details surrounding it, I find these statements so tragically prophetic and ironic. However, it reminds me Michael struggled with life just like the rest of us “normal” human beings.



Good-bye Michael, R.I.P.

1 comment:

artjas said...

Very good points as usual.