Friday, July 24, 2009

Art Blog: JUNK YARD DOG?

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement."
Charles M. Schulz

The art world is like a microcosm of the whole world. Just like all societies there is a social structure. I suppose you could say artists are divided into “classes” (upper, middle, and lower)? However, I think of grouping artists in a different way. I think of them as being like packs of dogs.

For example, there are the show dogs. Those fancy, smancy dogs who take part in the high end dog shows. Working dogs are those artists who relentlessly work in their studio oblivious to the outside world. Then, there are the hunting dogs. Those are the artists who do less creating and more sniffing around for art career opportunities. Let’s not forget the terriers! I imagine those to be the cheery, energetic artists who crank out gewgaws to sell on internet craft websites.

Sporting artists, opps I mean dogs keep a few paintings stored in the bedroom closet. They create just enough to call themselves artists. I guess they like the title. Of course, the service dogs would be the artists who make art for a cause. With relentless generosity, they create and give their work to save humanity.

The reason I started thinking about this is because I got an email yesterday. It was from a French Poodle. Her words nipped and nudged trying to put me in my place. She insinuated I was not good enough for her “pack”. LOL LOL LOL Well. This might be true in her eyes, but I know better.

You see I am a street dog. Yes. I don’t have a pedigree or a fancy collar. I have never been pampered nor had a rich daddy to buy me gourmet food. I have roamed free on the streets and learned how to survive on my own. I have a muscular burl from running wild. I am an alpha dog and gather other artist mutts along the way. We mingle and find art adventures together. We are a motley crew and have no problem with that. We know how to survive because we have to find our own way.
I am not sure you could say the same thing “Gigi”.




Photo credit: H.C. Barley

11 comments:

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Excellent Sheree. Grrrrrr

Sheree Rensel said...

Terry,
Even though I have never met you in person, you know me well enough to know this post is very true! I can be so soft and cuddly. However, you gotta be careful. If you growl at me, I WILL BITE! LOL LOL :-0

JafaBrit's Art said...

you are a jafadog and I LOVE it. You post was fun to read.

kathy casey said...

From one street dog to another....I would sniff your butt anytime! Such a wonderful way to look at this art biz. I'll never go to another opening without sniffing out the artists to figure out their "breed". Glad to be a part of your pack.

artjas said...

Very Good analogy. Long live the pack!

Sheree Rensel said...

Kathy, I am glad you are in my pack too!! :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Artjas,
YEP! Long live the pack. We are survivors! :-)

deb said...

hmmm now trying to decide what kind of dog I am, lost maybe... you always hit the nail right on the head and I hope you sent that puffed up poodle packing!!

namastenancy said...

I hope you told Fifi to go back and play with her hairdresser. Real artists don't need any "aristocratic" pedigree; we make our own! What a clueless nitwit!

James said...

That was great

Julie Caves said...

Great post Sheree!
I guess I am a working dog... But I don't get a bone very often!