Sunday, August 2, 2009

Art Blog: The Eleventh Hour

I remember when I was in kindergarten. We only had to go to school for half days in that first year. My day started at 12:00 noon. I loved going to school. I would sit and wait with great anticipation every morning. I never missed a day. However in my five year old mind, I became curious about what it was like to be “absent”. I didn’t really know the exact meaning of the word yet. I did hear the teacher say it aloud when she marked the roll each day. Roger is ABSENT. Mary is ABSENT. Sheree is PRESENT. Etc.

One day I decided I wanted to see what it felt like to be absent. I told my mother I didn’t feel so good. I didn’t want to go to school. She said “OK”. I lay in bed most of the morning. Boredom set in and I wandered into the kitchen. We had a clock on the stove. I looked at the clock. It was 11:55AM. I watched the clock tick closer to noon. When the big hand almost touched the 12, I screamed “I WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!!” LOL LOL LOL LOL Quickly, I threw some clothes on and hightailed it down the street. I wasn’t absent that day.

I thought of this “eleventh hour” change of heart memory this weekend. On August 1st I was supposed to have the prospectus done for the “Git Outta My Face” an online exhibition I am curating. The original theme of the show was going to be artistic responses to FaceBook and social media. I took notes and began the prospectus. I have had a video promo out for the show for weeks. It was not very well accepted. Despite the lack of response, I trudged on and started writing the prospectus. However, I put it aside and let it sit for a week. Late on the night of July 31st, I started to finish it at the eleventh hour. I sat and looked at the clock once again and thought “I have to get this done!” However, it felt like too much work. I wasn’t feeling it! I realized I didn’t like this show idea either. I don’t like Facebook. I just can’t get into it. It reminds me of one of those animated billboards advertising an endless stream of things I don’t want to buy. It is just boring to me.

Eureka! If this idea is boring to me, how can I put all the work and effort into putting on a show in which I have no interest? Duh! Therefore, I am shelving this theme. I have a much better idea for the show. The new theme is far more interesting to me. I hope it will be of interest to artists too!



“Get Outta My Face”
Online exhibition prospectus will be posted SOON.

1 comment:

gilda said...

looking forward to your new ideas!