Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Art Blog: In Loving Memory



“GIZMO, WIZARD OF WIZZLEWOLF”
1996-2009


The Story of WIZZLEWOLF

You see I found this dog at a "puppy mill" pet shop. He was a very sad sack. He was a Yorkie, but he HUGE for a toy dog. He was very raggedy for such a "glamorous" breed. Instead of silky long hair, he was scruffy looking all the time. Just like a four-year-old little boy, he always looked like he just got done eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while sitting in a mud puddle.

When he was a "toddler", he had all kinds of physical and emotional problems. He was born Unilateral Cryptorchid. That means he only had one testicle. That made him unbreedable as a pedigree dog. He had intestinal problems for the first six months of his life so the shop kept him caged. This rendered him "severely emotionally disturbed". He attacked everyone until he was six years old!! He was just a mean little, snotty dog. For some reason, he liked me. Ironically, I teach severely emotionally disturbed kids. I guess he instinctively knew I always root for the "underdog" (Pun intended).

So I bought him. Now the wizzlewolf part.....

A few weeks later I got the papers from the American Kennel Club. LOL LOL LOL They needed a fancy show name for this dog. They didn't know he was a WRECK and would never be in any shows. However, I thought about it and it came to me.
This was EXACTLY what this dog needed: SELF ESTEEM!!!! So I made up the very regal title like those you hear during dog shows:

"Gizmo, Wizard of Wizzlewolf"


I realized the "wizzlewolf" part was really like me: silly, humorous, yet strong and courageous. So I became the wizzlewolf to his wizard!!

EPILOGUE: That was nearly 13 years ago. Yesterday, “Gizmo Wizard of Wizzlewolf” left this life. I am sure he is now working as a helper in heaven’s art studio. I already miss him more than I can express, but I know he is a happy angel dog now.



I will always love you Giz.
You have been a true, loving friend.

19 comments:

jane o'hara said...

sheree, thank you for sharing your sweet pup with us. I'm so sorry for the loss. sending lots and lots of love to you and Giz

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Sheree,
I am so sad that Gizmo is gone.

You are the second person I know that has lost a dear four legged friend this week.

I have experienced this too many times myself and I fear that soon my Heidi will start her final journey.

Stay strong and know that you and Gizmo are in my thoughts.

Terry

JafaBrit's Art said...

oh sheree, I have a yorkie and I adore yorkies, especially little scruffy wizzlewolf types. Sending a hug for you and your pal Giz.

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Hi Sheree,
This is such a heartwarming story. Thank you so much for sharing. Wizzlewolf was so lucky to have you take care of him. He must have sensed your kindness and understanding. I am very sorry for your loss --sending you lots of hugs. Smiling at Giz in his art studio in the vast blue sky. We miss you--take care of yourself.

anodyne2art said...

Oh Wizzlewolf

Our love to you this day...Gizmo looks so much like Murphy (the airstreamin dawg on Twitter) who is also a big ragamuffin.
Oh how we miss our dearest friends but he'll always be with you.
Our hearts fly to you
xo Liz

Cagney Studio 8 said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but am more apt to celebrate the life lessons and love you had for one another. My heart does go out to you...
Thinking of you and Giz!
- Cagney

Deborah said...

Heartbroken to read about your Gizmo. So sorry and so full of tears for you and the ache you must be feeling. It is SO hard to loose the unconditional love of our four legged family members. Thinking of you and Gizmo. Thanks for sharing him with us!

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." ~Kahlil Gibran

Claude said...

Dog spelled backwards is God. There is a reason for animals to spend their short lives with us...we are lucky, for they teach us so much, and leave us with experiences we never forget. RIP Gizmo!

Tita Mama said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

namastenancy said...

What a loving tribute to a wonderful and scrappy little dog. Like you said, he's probably helping some artist in heaven's art studio and watching over your art studio from among the angels.

Miriam's Art Journal said...

so sorry for your loss of your dear friend and companion.....I recently lost ,y dog, Duncan and I still cannot believe he is not sharing every day with us.....it's taking a long time getting used to not holding him, smelling him.....Love his picture in the studio......he looks like it's his studio.....

hugs,

Mir

Rebecca Bush said...

Love going out to you and your dear wizzlewolf, Sheree. Pets are the best.

gilda said...

Oh my dear Sheree! Gizmo was your friend, partner, muse, protector, and fellow artist! I love that picture of him in your studio....such a perfect image!
I know your heart is broken, we all are here for you.

Gilda

zurplemoon said...

much love to you. i totally get it any time you need to talk just let me know i'm here.

hugs

deb said...

Oh I am so sorry it is so hard to lose a faithful companion, wishing you peace.

Gayle said...

My condolences on your loss of Gizmo. What a sweetie and a comfort he must have been all those years. Take care.

Carla Boulton said...

So sad for you Sheree, what a lovely story x Carla

Nova Cynthia said...

Lots of love to you in this time of grieving, may your heart sing loudly, Love-Light, Nova Cynthia

Parker said...

Once again, your words brought tears to my eyes. Poor little Gizmo. Such a loving creature and so little time to spend on this vale of tears that is life. Argh!

I can still hear my little kittycat Sasha sometimes, or I think I catch her sliding around a corner just ahead of me in the house. It's been at least ten years since she died. I still see her ghost watching over me.

RIP Gizmo