Thursday, August 6, 2009

Art Blog: Taking Your Own Pulse

This post is dedicated to “Tina”, the sole commenter on my last post. THANK YOU TINA!



Sometimes it is necessary to just stop and look around.
We all need to feel our own pulse sometimes!


I think I hit a nerve with my last entry. It was pretty much ignored or at least, it wasn’t received well. As stated, I got one comment on the entry. I did get a few tweets. Most of those comments wished me well, but had an undercurrent of condolences. I had to go back and reread what I wrote because I wondered why the responses made it seem like I was in some kind of trouble. I am not.

Yesterday, I did feel miserable. I had exercised too much at the beginning of the week. My neck was stiff from lifting kettlebells. The rest of my body was cursing the treadmill and spinner. This was expected. Even the fact I was a tad crabby is part of the deal. I knew this would happen because this isn’t my first “Me Bootcamp”. I have done makeovers before and there is a very specific process and cycle you have to go through to get to the good stuff.

Whenever you are trying to move your life along and check your own pulse, if there isn’t any discomfort it means nothing is changing. I am sorry I can’t report about lollipops and rainbows yet. I will get there. Until then, there will be some ups and downs and all arounds. That is a GOOD thing.

Right now, I am shaking up the bottle and making it fizz. That’s all. If you have never done this, you should try it sometime. This two week stint is just a start. The last time I did a “Me Bootcamp” it took about ten months for me to look around and see bright and shiny newness in my life. It takes a while for the soda to really POP. However when it does, it is like a magical fountain of fizzy delight! This is why condolences are not in order here. This is a very positive event in my life. I am happy I am taking steps to move my life forward.

Artwise: I went back and looked at my January 1st resolutions. I wanted to remember what I wanted to do with my art this year. Like I said, I am taking the pulse. As I look at my list of art goals for 2009, I am doing pretty darn well! At this point, I have been in nine shows this year. I will make that goal. I haven’t submitted my own CDs yet. However, I created Twitter 140 exhibition and I sent out 12 proposal packages for that shindig. I have collected the sculpture components to begin work on my sculpture series. I have joined two more community art groups. That is not working out all that well, but at least I took those steps. Finally, my “Me Bootcamp” is a concrete plan to help make myself a happy, healthy artist. Hmmmmm….I guess I am pretty much on target!



Believe me. I am NOT getting ready to jump off a cliff or anything! LOL LOL
To clarify, my “Me Bootcamp” is like climbing UP a mountain and being able to look down. Once I get up to the summit, I have a new panoramic vision. That is what this is all about.
It is a GOOD thing.

8 comments:

gilda snowden said...

Hi Sheree

sounds like you have reached many solid, determined, conclusions about your path. Sorry I havent posted many responses...I have been trying to cram as much as i can into my last few weeks before going back to school....except that I have been also going in and out of the office all summer doing chair work. I can really relate to your observations. Art and Life----always a crazy dance.

I imagine that late summer is a busy time for lots. I have only visited the computer lately to touch base with my Face account and to check my school email. Havent been to my studio to work in a week.

Your observations are sound and helpful, and more often than not are complete in their points...which may be why a response might seem superfluous.

Please forgive the occasional silence. It is not empty....

Rebecca Bush said...

I'm glad to read your posts about Boot Camp because I go through this kind of thing too! Maybe we all do. It's important to pay attention to these lingering feelings of discontent-- it's the compass of our heart trying to tell our head that we need to trim our sails and adjust our course. I don't think most creative people are all roses and rainbows all the time, that's not where work comes from, let's face it. I am much more interested in the difficulties of trying to live an authentic life than I am about reading a blog about someone's painting technique tips. But I, too, find that I get more comments on those kind of entries than I do when I talk about issues that really matter to me. Maybe it just is harder for people to respond- I know that writing this made me really have to sit down and think-- something I don't usually do in a blog comment. ;)

anodyne2art said...

Hey Sheree,

Shaken not stirred. This is probably the most uncomfortable and distressing period I've ever been through but the discomfort is driving huge change. Given all the circumstances,I question every single day what I'm doing and do a dance with an ephemeral partner called time.
I am alive. I love these words by poet Nazim Hikmel:
"I mean,you must take living so seriously
that even at seventy,for example,you'll plant olive trees-
and not for your children,either,
but because although you fear death you don't believe it,
because living,I mean.weighs heavier."

So,with my long list of reality:Loss of work=mad scramble all time for $,brain tumor etc...,loss of partner and so on, have gained:
A renewed appreciation for the wonders of solitude;
Celebration of what IS;
Never EVER bored/Keeping this place alive so it can be used long after I'm gone;
Being a better vessel....a better fisherwoman. Vic Chesnutt said that writing music for him was like casting your nets....Yes, the old woman and the sea,that's me too. Mo better fishing...making the lures,mending nets too,simpler (which,as you know, requires some wisdom + LUCK (ha ha),reading the time & tides,knowing when to throw the fish back too (but not blaming yourself as in "that fish just wasn't good enough"), calling yourself to excellence...if it isn't the best you can do, why not? etc...
May the beauty in this day find YOU...(& it is sure to cause you are a Wizzled Wolf ;) )
Liz

@anodyne2art
@waterbears
http://www.anodyne2art.com
http://cordatadesert.facebook.com

Sheree Rensel said...

Rebecca,
Yes! I know we all go through this or at least we all should! I have my tongue in my cheek right now. I know exactly why people don't comment on "heavy" posts. In fact, you hit the nail on the head. We have to stop and think. Some people don't want to do that. I understand. Maybe I am the pea under the princess? In fact, I hope I am. LOL
Thanks so much for your comment. I truly appreciate it.
:-)
Sheree

Sheree Rensel said...

Anodyne,
I knew someone like you would "get it". I realize some people find it very difficult to be introspective. I don't. I am that way all the time. I think you are too.
However, I find it kind of interesting and funny all at the same time that when I put up entries like the "Me Bootcamp", I feel like I have COOTIES. People walk at ten paces around me. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
At first, I thought I was just rattling my own bars. However, I think I am rattling the bars of a number of cages surrounding me.
Thanks for your lovely comment. I will take it to heart!
:-)
Sheree

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
I know you are busy. We are all busy. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.
Sheree

Tita Mama said...

Sheree -

Thank you for the dedication.

Condolences?! No need--to me this is a Life Thing -- As long as I am alive and well I will be changing. Sometimes I just have to stop and re-adjust to make sure I know how I'm changing and where I'm going. I love the idea of the "me-bootcamp."

artjas said...

Sheree
What I find great about your blog is that you are so much like me in the way you view life. One must pause from time to time to realize what makes us tick. One of the problums with US Humans is that we are slow to look at ourself objetively but quick to do so with someone else. The only way we can grow is to pause once in a while to see if we are still on the right path.