Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Art Blog: Fighting ENNUI

BOREDOM
What happens when everything seems boring? I am not saying all things are annoying or insignificant to me at all. I am just asking the question.

I have been thinking about life and how each passing year or decade brings different perspectives. I remember my twenties. Everything was new. I had the art fever. I wanted to try every media and create 24/7. I was like a baby learning about the art world.

In my thirties, it was my time to achieve. I avidly searched and worked to find venues for my work. I wanted so much to be a part of the art world. I was very successful at this. I loved all the shows and the openings. I loved the press. I loved the feeling I was somebody.

My forties brought a new vision. Things started to settle. I still worked continually on my art and sought out connections. Networking was important to me. I went to gallery openings. I started to learn about local movers and shakers. Yet, I decided the local scene was not really compatible with my own work. I searched beyond the city/state/country boundaries and found other ways to show my work. This was during the onset of the internet. It was perfect timing for me.

I am in my fifties now. Don’t feel sorry for me. In fact, I think this is the best time of my life so far. However, there is a very significant change going on right now. I really don’t have any interest in going to art shows or art openings. When I do that, I leave galleries without any kind of inspiration or glorious vibes. I have been there done that for over thirty years. I have seen more art in my lifetime then anybody needs to see. I savor all my art viewing memories, but I think my mind is too full of art images. I just don’t think any more will fit into my brain.

Maybe ennui has set in. Maybe I am just weary and dissatisfied with art now. NO. On the contrary, I am so jazzed and excited about art right now. The difference is I am concerned with my own art. MY ART. It is time for me again. It is time for me to be the art baby I once was. Things are all new to me. You see when you get to a certain age; you feel the need to be rejuvenated. As long as I am energized by my own art making and my own search for ideas, it will never be boring. This is a good thing.
My time is now and that isn’t boring at all!


2 comments:

Eva said...

Did you see the Dave Hickey video where he talks about... ennui?! You should check it out... right on topic....

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
You are TOO smart!! Yes, I saw the Dave Hickey vid. In fact, that is the EXACT thing that made me think of writing this post!!!!! I watched his video (I LOVE HIM!!!!) and then decided to make my own interpretations. I didn't mention the video because it would make it too complicated. Also, it would take this post in an entirely different direction.

I am so impressed you caught the connection. You are a smart cookie girl!!! :-)