Thursday, September 10, 2009

Art Blog: I PUSH BACK

As many of you know, my day job involves working with students who are tough, street kids. The reason I have been able to survive for the past 16 years working with these darlings is because I am a street kid too. I have spent a lot of years walking the streets of DEE-troit. Even as a teenager, I hitchhiked alone all over Detroit. Oh the stories I could tell!!! Thinking of this now sends shivers up my spine. I put myself is so much danger back then.

Even as I grew a bit older, my tiny daughter and I roamed the streets amongst all kinds of unsavory characters. I was never afraid. I looked thugs straight in the eyes. If a text bubble appeared over their heads, it would read “She would be too much trouble!”. They would be right. I am small, but if it came down to it, I would be like a rabid Chihuahua. Believe me, I would fight to the death. Criminal types usually know and can feel who to target. It isn’t my type of person.

In other words if you push me, I push back. This is a terrible trait to have in these times of being “politically correct”. I am not. I never have been and never will be. I say what I want and if it rocks boats, oh well. I am honest.
I am never mean or unreasonable. If I say things that make other people shrink, it is because my words speak the truth others are afraid to say. In some ways, I see this as such a great attribute to have. I feel proud that I don’t fear speaking about what is really going on and not pretending. I am not interested in speaking fiction or spout out soothing words that land like kisses on someone’s butt. I just can’t do that.

Even if my mouth causes me to be shunned or blackballed, that is fine with me. I speak with good intention and stand up for my rights and the causes of others. If I lose the people who disagree, so be it. They were never my friends anyway.





“I am BAD”
Sheree Rensel
Acrylic on Canvas
8” X 10”
Click pic for detail view

6 comments:

namastenancy said...

You go gurl! Still, I hope that you can survive and thrive and that those who are giving you grief will be the ones to move along.

Martha Marshall said...

I love it, Sheree! I can just picture those thought bubbles as the bad guys decided to keep their distance!! Yep, not surprised.

kathy casey said...

THIS IS WHY WE ARE FRIENDS!

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

The DEE-troit made me smile because I am always saying DA-troit, although I have been corrected on more than one occasion. Somehow that is how I learned to pronounce it.

Hope all the issues swirling around you get some resolution.

Stay strong.

Terry

pairofdailyartists said...

She may be bad, but (me being English) she is also a rather nice and good woman.
There is nothing negative in knowing what you believe in Sheree.

Kelly said...

well said! i love this piece and i love your comments about it. political correctness has gone too far in my book! :-)