Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Art Blog: Life AFTER

I love being on the UP SWING. I can always tell when I am on the right track because things start happening and they seem to converge. Everything starts to line up in order. I know I am cognizant of the “moment” and I am going with the flow. Oh yes! Hooray! Finally!! Hallelujah!!!!

This is a blog post for all of you who are afraid of change. I am right there with you. I have fought making things different. In some kind of neurotic, bizarre way, I have dug my heels in deep and held onto the status quo. I have been so set in my ways for the past 16 years, I feared any changes. Surprisingly, it just took two weeks for me to change my mind. I now realize change is GOOD! I am having such a blast. In fact, I am having so much fun; I can’t wait for MORE change!

My ears always perk up when I hear advice like “Find something you love and do it. You will be able to make a living at it.” Of course we artists all think “Oh, OK. I will make art and make my bucks!” Well, a long time ago, I realized I did not want to sacrifice my own art visions to make a living. I decided my money maker would be teaching. I am very good at it and it has provided an unbelievable living for me. Unfortunately, my daily life as an art educator has experienced a rough and rocky road lately. I really thought my teaching days were over. This upset me but I was ready to let it go.

The weird thing is the UNIVERSE has provided me with another chance and a new experience. I realize I am meant to keep teaching. I love teaching almost as much as I love being an artist. I am so glad I have come to this realization.

Today I had brand new students. One group was five and six year olds. About 15 minutes into the lesson, one little girl looked at me and said “Ms. Rensel, you are HYPER!” I laughed so loud! I looked at her and said “Yep! I am hyper and that is a good thing!!!” LOL LOL




I created this digital sketch ten years ago. It was about how I related to myself as a child. My adult self was speaking to my child self. As my job duties have changed in the past month, I realize, I am right back to this same place. I teach new and different kids. I want to tell them the same things I have told myself.
I know what you feel.
I feel what you know.
I am here for you.

1 comment:

deb said...

haven't been by in a while, so I am glad to see you smiling again, I hope it all comes good for you, and I have missed your upbeat hyper-ness. I wish I could be as hyper as you! You must blow those kids right out of the water, what a great experience for them