Friday, October 23, 2009

Art Blog: SOUPY

Soupy Sales died this week. This is heartbreaking news to me. Soupy Sales was one of my heroes. You all know how impressionable we are in very early childhood. Soupy was one of my mentors. Soupy started in Detroit. I did too. I watched him, Pookie, and White Fang’s every move during my formative years. At one point in the late 50’s, my dad took me down to the “Lunch with Soupy” set to watch and interact with the cast. Even though I was a tiny child, I remember that day clearly. Soupy was my kind of guy. I watched him every chance I could get. “LUNCH WITH SOUPY” was one TV show that I didn’t want to miss. He was one of my idols.

Of course when I heard the news of his death I was so sad. I wanted to write a little blog post as a tribute to him. I wanted to include at least one piece of video from one of his shows. I started to watch YouTube clips of Soupy. Now as an adult, I realize how outrageously progressive Soupy was. Also, I understand why I think the way I do. Soupy and I had a similar kind of sense of humor. I didn't realize that until now and it is obvious to me how he made an impact on my life. He was far before his time.

Now remember, these clips were more than forty years ago. If he had started in this era, he could have been a YouTube sensation! His shows were full of double entendre, inside (ADULT) jokes, snide remarks, TV set silliness, and filmmaking mayhem! Now remember, this is late 50’s / early 60’s. It is almost as if he could see the future and was doing the footwork.
I love you Soupy.
I carry your influences in my life and art.
I thank you for this.



Click pic to watch Soupy and Pookie in action!

“Soupy and Pookie”
RIP Soupy Sales

3 comments:

jpallas said...

Sheree,
You said it. He was a natural. Sharp. Witty. Zany. But always kind. We are all richer from him.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jim,
I cannot express enough how Soupy's death effects me. He really was one of my PEOPLE! I get him. I have always got him. So much of my personality is all about how he showed and taught me how to respond to the world. I watch him now and realize how we were so close. When he smirks and holds back a laugh in this footage, I am right there with him. We were like kinds. This is so comforting to me. I tend to think I am an alien. I am not or if this is so, Soupy and I must come from the same planet!

Samantha K said...

Soupy Sales practically invented the immortal pie in the face gag -- they don't make em like that anymore...