Monday, November 23, 2009

Art Blog: Is Being a Painter Irrelevant?

Everyone is feeling the effects of our changing world right now. I know I am. I have never felt like I fit in anywhere anyway, so all of this mysterious transformation is very unsettling to me. There are just too many things to think about right now. Our futures are more uncertain than ever. Images speed through my mind almost as fast as things are changing. At times it is just too much to handle.
I try to grasp onto the things I know are true. I am an artist. I am Sheree. Lately, I am wondering who “she” is and where she is going. I mean, I am a painter. I am beginning to think that is so old fashioned. Is being a painter even relevant anymore???
(Leave comments below!)


So I sit on my back porch and ponder or I search the internet for life inspiration. I found something today that gave me a surge of excitement.

Imagine not needing a camera in hand to take a picture. All you would have to do is hold your hands up in a rectangle shape and SNAP!


Imagine not needing a pencil to draw on paper. Just use your finger to sketch and just touching the paper will create a digital image.

I saw these two experiments demonstrated while watching Pranav Mistry’s TED video. He is an inventor. Some of the things he is working on are absolutely mind blowing and unbelievable. I might not live long enough to see all his inventions become available to the masses, but at least this video caused me to pause and dream. It also made me wonder how artists fit into this new world coming. What do you think?

Imagine leaving virtual graffiti on every wall you pass. I guess this is one way I fit into our current world. I am one of the lucky ones. I can IMAGINE.
Click pic to watch “Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology”

7 comments:

erika allison said...

Wow! I've been waiting for lots of interesting comments to show up on this topic...What "art" is seems to keep expanding as new media appears on the horizon. "They" have said that painting is dead before. I say it's only dead if we let it be.

Sheree Rensel said...

Erika,
Isn't this funny? I too thought I would draw a (an angry) crowd of painters telling me I am wrong. I guess not. The blog world is a weird world. I got a lot of hits on the strangest posts. I can never predict what will happen.
It is the holiday season though. People are very busy. Besides, I don't care if I NEVER get comments. I still write. I think I am talking to myself sometimes and that is OK with me.
LOL
:-)

Diana said...

I've been wondering if art in general still matters. I just wrote about how maybe art is so available at any moment on the internet that no one needs to buy it any more! Also, with so much of it saturating people's lives, does it lessen the experience?

I certainly love paintings (and painters) but I wonder if anyone can compete in a world like this. There's an explosion of art, writing, music...

Does it just become wallpaper for our online experience?? Ack!

Sheree Rensel said...

Diana, I totally agree with you. I feel overwhelmed. Between the media induced imagery explosion and the seeming lack of respect for art in general, I am really not sure what to think anymore. Don't get me wrong, I will still paint. Even though I "play" with digital painting/media, it is NOT the same thing. I like getting my hands dirty!! LOL
Thanks for commenting! :-)

Diana said...

Yes Sheree, I didn't even mention the media explosion of imagery! I was just thinking of all the various art sites and craft sites I go to all the time.

I'm with you though. I make art because I feel compelled. I just wish that art hadn't been pushed so far into the realm of advertising that people come to expect it for free not see it as a treat.

We seem to be feeling the same edginess about what this will all come to in the end. By the way, I started as a painter and hope to pick the brush up again one day.

Anna Sellers said...

My short answer is - It's not dead yet, so keep on painting.

I read your post just before I started a long cooking spree and did not have the time to make a reply at the time. I thought about what you said several times over and formulated a fairly lengthy reply on my own blog at:

http://annasellers.blogspot.com/2009/11/is-being-painter-irrelevant-my-answer.html

I really like your blog. I love your honesty.

JafaBrit's Art said...

I think artists will always find a variety of tools to express themselves and this includes painting. It was proclaimed painting was dead when photography was invented. It may have replaced the need for portraiture but it didn't replace painting.