Friday, March 19, 2010

Art Blog: Admit it!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I didn’t buy another ART book for the rest of my life, I would have enough to read into eternity!! Yeah. Yeah. I bet some of you are just like me. OK. Let’s take a poll. Raise your hand if you have shelves or stacks of art books which are new or gently handled; you have looked at the art (pictures), but you have never read the entire text? Ahhhhhhh…let me see here.

As I look around cyberspace, I see a number of you raising your hands!!!
Aa-huh! I thought so.


I love having resources. Now in the age of the internet, this is kind of scary. I was born to GOOGLE. However, there is something about having an actual book in your hand. I look at all my books all the time. I just don’t read them FULLY. This bothers me. Therefore, I am going to start a new habit. I am going to try to do this at LEAST once a month. I was going say “once a week”, but that is just too stringent. To (really) read one book per month is a great goal. That is:

I am going to take one of my art books and actually READ it from cover to cover. Yes. I am going to commit to this right now.

So where do I start? I think my first read through will be………….gosh. There is so many to choose from…………….Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. OK. I have it!

Utopia Parkway: The Life and Work of Joseph Cornell (Hardcover)

I started reading this book when I got it, but never finished it. So this will be my book of the MONTH. I will have an April 19th deadline. I can do that! I love Joseph Cornell. I love reading about the lives of artists. This should be a good read!!

Hey, why don’t you join me? Pick one book from your collection and read it this month. It sure can’t hurt and it might even inspire you.

That is my hope!!


4 comments:

namastenancy said...

This bio of Joseph Cornell is one of the best ones around. It makes his life and work almost understandable - I say almost because I think there is a deep mystery in the man that will never be explained. Another bio which I highly recommend is the one on DeKooning by Mark Stevens and Annalyn Swan - I devoured that one because it was more fantastic and better written than any novel. But now that I get catalogs every time I review an art show, I get more art stuff than I can possibly read. Guess this means I should do less playing around on-line and do more reading? You think?

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
I finished off the first few chapters yesterday. The scary part is he seemed like such an ODD DUCK, I relate to a whole lot of his personality and actions. We have a lot in common. What does that say about me? LOL LOL

namastenancy said...

What is says is that you are an artistic genius, right in the Cornell tradition (but maybe without the same, shall we say, neurosis?)

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
I don't know about the genius part. How about artistic WEIRDO?? LOL LOL