Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Art Blog: Full Circle

My last post mentioned some of my childhood experiences and feelings. I have been reflecting a lot lately. I am noticing how things come full circle. All of us have the signs and symbols of our life come at us when we are young. It is up to us to choose what we want to do with this information.

This is weird. When I was a very young girl, I was such an entrepreneur. I would think of all kinds of ways to make money. Like I said in the last post, I charged kids to see Santa. I collected admission to see backyard puppet shows. I even constructed a “Candy Store” in my front yard and sold candy to neighborhood kids. I had this die hard, Trumpesque mentality. I was going to make money no matter what. I did too! I always had a pocket of bucks to buy crepe paper to decorate my bike or art supplies to create my next painting. I just did that without a thought.

For some reason over the years, I lost that spunk. I got scared. Just today, I thought about how I am not a risk taker. I need stability in my life. That is why I have always worked 9 to 5 or whatever hours a regular job required. I have gone to work, done a great job, and then come home and painted like a mad woman. Yet, I don’t even like selling my paintings. Those dollar signs just didn’t mean that much to me anymore.

Well…………I am preparing for a change. I decided to make a teaching portfolio to showcase my teaching skills and accomplishments. This took me months. Hey! I was documenting almost twenty years!!! I made a hard copy and an abridged digital version. After it was all done, I looked at them sitting on the table. I didn’t think “WOW, you have done such a great job!” Instead I thought “Sheree, you have skills and people would like to learn those skills!” This observation was confirmed today when I went around flashing my digital portfolio CD. Mouths dropped. I was asked “Did you do that yourself?” I realized there are a lot of people in the world who might like to know how to make a document (hard copy or digital or both) for whatever reasons. This reminded me of when my friend Dawn asked me about a poster I was using to teach. She asked where I got it. Before I could answer, she said “You made that didn’t you?” Yep, I made it. Dawn Fisher is one artist who has been encouraging me to expand my horizons. She is right too. I know how to do a whole lot of things. Now, I want to find people who want to learn how to do this too. I want to teach them.

So Sheree’s next adventure is to open a new business. It is called “WIZZLE WORKZ”. I am a combination artist, computer tutor, and designer. Of course, I could make stuff for you, but I like the idea of teaching you how to do it yourself. It is kind of like the saying:

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”—Author unknown

If I can find enough people who want to learn to make their own digital stuff, WIZZLE WORKZ could be a success. If that happens, I will feel as happy as when I ran my candy store. Like I said before, sometimes life comes full circle.




This is like looking at my life in pictures. These digital and hard copy documents represent the last 17 years of my life. Yes, I have done a whole lot, but these two documents represent my future too. It isn’t really about what is in them. It is more about, how I made them. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

What a great name for a business and you know I think sometimes we are so busy getting on with it we take our skills/abilities for granted.

Erika Allison said...

Great idea, Sheree! If I lived near you I'd be your student! I had to find a webmaster to create my website for me because I'm clueless...such a dinosaur! But, she's teaching me how to do things myself. I get so excited when I actually write a blogpost, upload a photo and get it posted.

Good luck with your new business! I'm rooting for you!

Wings of Love said...

All the best. Don't give up.