Sunday, June 13, 2010

Art Blog: Moving on UP!



A-ha! I didn’t tell you I had a loft in my studio! Yesterday, I wrote about moving 17 years worth of junk from work into my studio. I put pics on my last post of the resulting disaster area. I didn’t tell you about the loft above my studio. So when in doubt, move everything UP! The reason I didn’t mention it is because it is a total hassle getting up there. I wondered if I was going to be able to swing this. Also every time I do start to climb up there, I feel like I should call “Billy the Exterminator from Vex Con” before I venture up into that dark, creepy space.

However, this morning I did the dirty deed. I got my trusty ladder out of my shed, put my boots on, grabbed a flashlight, and got a surge of courage. This overflow of guts made me smile. SHEREE is back! In fact, if things don’t work out, maybe BILLY will give me a job!!! LOL LOL

I started piling boxes on a table, climbed up on the table, reached up, and pushed each box up on the ledge until it got full. Then I marched up the ladder and threw them back into the dirty, nasty crawl space. Every so often, I would use my flashlight and pan the space for moving creatures. It was quiet and still. A few years ago, I spent 3 grand to close off the soffits and fascias. I see now, that was money well spent.

Today, I realized all this transition and change is a really good thing and has its perks. Not only am I storing all my job stuff, but I am reorganizing my studio too. Do I really need 20 years worth of collage materials when I rarely do collage anymore? Or do I need boxes and boxes of wood scraps when I don’t have room to work 3-D? The garbage dumpster is full and ready for tomorrow’s pick up.

However, there is a limit. I understand it when hoarders tell of the magical power and sentimental value of an object. I threw away a metal toolbox I carried around Wayne State University all through my undergrad and graduate school years. It was all rusted and nasty. I dropped in the dumpster and looked at it laying there with the other trash. I could hear a voice in my mind saying “It is garbage. You don’t need it. It is rusted. It isn’t even usable anymore!” I looked at it one more time and shut the dumpster lid. Then, I took steps toward my studio door and ran back to the dumpster to fish it out of there. I couldn’t do it! Just looking at this forlorn piece of trash brings back so many memories. So what if it is rusted? I am getting kind of rusty too!! LOL




Not done yet, but we are making progress!

3 comments:

deb said...

wow! a lot has been going on in your life! I am in awe of your gumption, way to get it done. Know that something amazing must be coming with all this energy!

Kathy Hodge said...

It's nice to see someone else's chaotic studio and the good energy that is going into taking stock and clearing the deck for new work. I'm about to gut and reorganize mine so it will get a lot worse before it gets better. I'll have to post before and after pics. But I know what you mean about also being in work mode, all I really want to do is paint!
I have an enclosed loft in my garage studio, and used to drag out a ladder too, what a pain! I had drop down attic stairs installed and it sure makes life easier. Good luck and good space!

Bob Ragland said...

Hi Sheree,
I know the feeling, in May 2009, I had to close an art studio in the school where I was an artist in residence for fourteen years.

I got it done.
I now work on my own brand full tilt.
Glad you got it done.

Bob Ragland