Friday, August 6, 2010

Art Blog: Social Butterfly, NOT

I am sure that you have heard or figured out for yourself that those who do well in the arts aren’t necessarily the most talented or brilliant at creating. Of course, there is some artistic quality there, but it doesn’t have to be the best (whatever that is). On the contrary, in order to be successful you have to have a wide skill set of other abilities above and beyond your creative endeavors.

I read an artist’s blog post today in which the artist expressed lament that she wasn’t a “salesperson”. She just wanted to make art. Don’t we all? However, that is unrealistic. I should know. I am a hoarder of my own art. It isn’t that I don’t want to sell, it is just that I don’t have those skills in me. Despite seeming gregarious in public, it is all an act with me. I am actually painfully shy. It is difficult for me to explain my art verbally, let alone sell it. Don’t misunderstand. I know what my art is about. I can write about it all day long, but to stand in front of a person and say the words. NOPE.

Another trait many successful artists exert is their social personality. I have mentioned before I don’t feel like I fit into my current art environment. I don’t have any art friends here. Yet, I don’t push myself out to make art friends either. There is the rub. I don’t like openings. I don’t like being in crowds. I don’t like chit chat or small talk. I guess I am doomed. LOL

So if an artist’s skill set is unbalanced, the best thing to do is to work on your weaker skills. I am never going to be the life of the party or be able to sell anybody swamp land, but I can at least try to be a little bit more social, get out to galleries more, and practice talking to people. This might sound so easy, but it will take a lot of work on my part. I am willing to make this my new goal. We will see what happens………



Will Sheree ever be a social butterfly? NO.
I just have to work with what I have and do the best I can.
Sounds like a plan.

4 comments:

Eric Alder said...

Just like most things, interaction with people face-to-face gets easier with practice. You've certainly got enough personality (even if you usually keep it bottled up) to carry on a conversation. Good luck with your metamorphosis!

Sheree Rensel said...

Thank you Eric. Well, yes. Practice. It is so funny. I have given lectures to auditoriums full of people. There is just something about one on one that freaks me out. I don't even like ordering a pizza on the telephone!! LOL
I am not sure if I am too old to change, but I will give it a try. Thanks for your encouragement!
:-)

deb said...

O I think you will find your wings, I for one would love to meet you in person...

Gayle Bell said...

Sheree,
I could have written what you said and it's stunning to me because you seem so outgoing and "all together." I've aspired to what you are (or appear to be)! I appreciate your honesty and don't feel so bad or guilty about my lack of "social graces."