Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Art Blog: The BIG Picture

For any of you who read this blog, you already know this. I am an analyzer. I over think everything. I pull and prod at my thoughts every day. Add that to my “artist’s mentality” and we have a brew that will steam. I wonder about this and I worry about that. One thing I have been thinking about lately is the weird dilemma of not being able to do my best at everything I try to do all the time.

If I have something to do, I am there 100%. I will work through the night to get the job done. I have often identified myself as a workaholic. This issue I am having now is the realization; I just can’t be great at what I do here, there, and everywhere at the same time. I have struggled with this issue a long time. I keep fighting the truth. I have finally come to the conclusion, it just can’t happen.

A few posts ago, I spoke of being in “art mode”. I love it when I am there. It is where I belong. I wish I could stay there all the time. However, I have to pull my head out of the clouds at times to face reality. I have to go to work at my day job. I have to give the energy it takes to support my job which supports my art.
Yes.
There are times I get resentful. However, I have to remind myself of the PLAN.

I made a choice a long time ago. I decided I didn’t want to worry all the time about selling my art. I knew even back then, I was not willing to make art for the pure reason of selling it. I think of art in a very different way. When I realized this, I made plans to work around this obstacle. I make art. I love selling it, but I want a way to support it with the least amount of stress. ENTER: Sheree the teacher.

So, I have Sheree in “art mode” at times. Then, there is Sheree in “teacher mode” at other times. I wish the two modes could meld into one, but that hasn’t happened and it won’t. I live two lives. I can’t be the best at everything at the same time. There is a time for this “mode” and then a time for that “mode”. I am ready to say that is OK because like a bird flying high in the sky, I love my bird's eye view. I finally see the BIG PICTURE.



“Bird’s Eye View”
Graphite on Paper
Sheree Rensel

2 comments:

Chad Wooters said...

Maintaining day job/art balance frustrates every "Part-time" artist. We have to remind ourselves that very, very few artists make art full time without the assistance of an sympathetic working spouse, a trust fund, or sugar daddy. The trick for many seems to lie in maintaining a productive tension between the two arenas so that each one feeds the other.

And yes, we have to let some things slide and learn to live with unpressed shirts and less than perfect lawns.

Sheree Rensel said...

Chad,
YEP!!! The last sentence of your comment made me laugh BIG. I am sitting here looking out at my DISASTER of a back yard right now. If I wasn't an artist, it might look nice. OH WELL................
Thanks so much for you comment!!!!
:-)