Saturday, March 5, 2011

Art Blog: STOP the Worldigig

I worked in my studio today. Artistically, I am all over the place. I have a bunch of new stuff started. I am trying very hard to FOCUS. I have this series and that series and whatever series going on simultaneously. My mind is racing here, there, and everywhere. Then I thought about the studio walk next Saturday. Against my nature, I thought it would be a good idea to have this day be the day I actually open my studio to “people”. YIKES! This is not my thing at all. I didn't get the social gene. However, that is one of the reasons I got my second “public” studio. I feel the need to be more visible and social because it seems like the right thing to do. (?????)

So today, I worked on some new stuff and started to prep for my gallery walk open studio. You are all invited if you are in the area:



You have no idea what it takes for me to say you are all INVITED. The reason is wacky and nonsensical in a weird way. While I was in my studio today, I remembered I had to make signage for all my work. I needed titles and price tags. I almost hyperventilated thinking about doing this. Why? It is because I am in a different head space right now. I just want to be around my current work. Things are going so fast and furious right now; I just want to stop the world-igig!

I don’t want to be thinking about prices or marketing or talking sales. I just don’t. In fact, this is the very reason I teach. I knew a long time ago there would be times I didn’t want to be worried about making art sales to pay the rent. Sometimes, artists just need to reflect and think and plan their next moves. This is one of those times for me.

As the anxiety built and I made lists in my notebook about which signs to make, I just stopped. I am great at self analysis. I asked myself why I was in panic mode. It is because I don’t want to be worried about selling stuff right now! (CLARIFICATION: In this economy, I don't want to put prices on work that are less than the amount I value my work. I would rather KEEP IT right now.) The voice in my head said “Then don’t sell it!” As soon as I thought those words, I relaxed. Yes. I won’t. I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do. So I came home, found a frame, and made this sign:



I know this is kind of crazy, but I am an artist. What do you expect? LOL

Click pic to see my current works in progress. (Facebook login required)

No comments: