Thursday, March 3, 2011

Art Blog: Visual Vigilance

This morning I was sitting at a traffic light watching the sunrise sky. The clouds were a muted steel color with a shocking pink top outline. There was a cerulean blue edge punctuating the bottom of each elongated misty bulk. As the light changed and I turned the corner, I realized, I am in ART MODE. This is so good. It is so wonderful. It has been a long time coming. This past year has been a bear. I never thought I would return to my “NORMAL”. I think I am almost back there and could not be happier.

I am very aware when I am in the gear of “artist”. It is similar to that moment in Wizard of Oz when Dorothy opens the door of her house after the tornado. It goes from grays to full, technicolor. This is the way things feel for me now. I am back to seeing things again. I have “visual vigilance” or really, HYPER vigilance!

Everything I see pops out at me in a way that makes me think or ask questions and wonder how I can use it in my art. These mental acrobatic moments could come while watching my lava lamp. What does that shape look like? When I look at the sky, I can’t help but wonder what would happen if I used a Photoshop filter to nudge, shift, or caress the original image I see. I might look at a butterfly with fresh new eyes and see the miracle of nature. Or I might just look down at the restaurant below my studio and think about the menu or the people who will eat there today or wonder about the lives of all the individuals in our world.

Yes. I am in art mode. I am being visually vigilant. It feels good. I feel like myself again. I feel like Sheree the artist.



Click pic to enlarge

No comments: