Friday, May 20, 2011

Art Blog: Perseverance

YEP. These are hard times. I hate to tell you this, but it might get even harder. Artists are just one tiny part of society. Everybody feels the pain of difficult times. Maybe artists feel it more intensely. I don’t know. I do know there are a whole lot of sad and discontented artists out there right now. I have noticed a particular and peculiar angst being expressed here, there, and everywhere. Even though I tone down the reality that I am an “artist/educator”, I am really thankful I have a day job at the moment. I feel for those artists who are trying to live off their art. Good luck with that. I wish you well. Really…………..

The real thesis of this post is about hanging on. I might not be the BEST artist (whatever that means), but at least I can say I have hung in there. If I wanted to count, I suppose I have been a working artist for more than……….ahhhh, let me think…………almost FORTY years! Forget I said that………LOL LOL It is true though. I just keep crankin the stuff out regardless of the times, turmoil, or my mood.

It has never mattered that I don’t sell enough to pay my bills. It has never mattered that I spend oodles of money on art supplies with no logical return. To me, my art is a necessity. I need to make art like I need food or water or air. I just do it and make it happen. To me, it is more important than anything. My art allows me to speak. My art is my venue to say what I need to say. To me, this is a privilege. Do you see why my feelings for art are so strong? I have to live this way or I would melt into a puddle of doom.

It is my nature. Is it yours?




"...battle between prosecution and defense is also a battle between emotion and reason"

Acrylic / Mixed Media on Wood

Sheree Rensel

2 comments:

Eva said...

I'm with you: compelled. No choice really. A child asked me recently why I made all those paintings. There really is no sensible reason!... I had times in life when I made a lot of money and very little art... I smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish.

Sheree Rensel said...

Eva,
Exactly. In some ways, it is illogical. Especially now in this time of marketing and $$$$$$$$$$$$$. I try to explain to people that selling my art is not my motivation to MAKE my art. Ninety percent of the time, they look at me like I just grew horns or something. I guess you gotta be one to know one. I don't try to explain this most of the time, but most people just don't get it.
:-)
Sheree